Requirements for acceptance to a Clinical MSW Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinicalpsych1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in a dilemma right now.

I have applied to 11 PhD programs in clinical psychology, and have already received multiple rejections (and most were not prestigious programs). My GRE scores were extremely low twice. 420 V and 460 Q 4.0 A. I feel this is definitely keeping me out of the running. I don't even know why I applied. I felt maybe my other qualifications would be able to overshadow my GREs. (3.8 GPA, 3.9 Psych GPA, 630 subject test, 1 semester RA, 1 semester honors research project, 1 semester as a TA, 2 clinical related experiences, and an internship this coming semester with a research component)
But after looking in the Clinical PhD forum, I realize I am not even near the academic level of the other applicants in my cohort. :(
With that information aside, I have 4 clinical psychology masters programs I will be applying to within the next week. I hope I can get in there, but now I feel like it's just not worth it, since only 1 year typically transfers (or so I have heard).

Ok, so now after my rant, this is my question: If for some reason I don't get acceptance to any psych progtams, what would be my requirements to applying for a Clinical MSW (next year or the year after)? How many LORs typically (could they be from psych profs, or would they have to be from a supervisor at a job in a related field)? What kind of GRE scores, or do I even need GRE scores? Would I need job experience and how many years? Also, how many people are in a Typical incoming Clinical MSW class? and what is the acceptance percentage?

I am just feeling really defeated right now, and would appreciate some help/feedback.

And in no way am I saying a MSW is a fall back. I am just thinking it might allow me to be happier in the end, because I am more focused toward practice, than I am research.

Thanks for reading (I know this was long :p)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,
No doubt your GRE numbers are way out of the range of clin. psych Ph.D. programs, but all your other numbers are on par. I think 650V 700Q or so on each GRE section is average for an applicant so this will raise a flag and you have to realize there are 9 other applicants with v. interesting resumes and above-average gpa/gre numbers for each spot. Anyways, you know all this, i dunno why i am rambling. Have you considered Counseling Psych Ph.D.? Or Psy.D.? Your GRE still needs work but you have a much better chance. You are obviously interested in psych, so I take no offense to the MSW question. But a masters in psych may not offer much in practice. I believe you have to be under supervision of a Ph.D. while practicing with a masters in psych, but a MSW you can practice therapy independently. And job options are more varied too. A masters of psych will however be a possible stepping stone to a Ph.D. program, which you sound like you are after.

Anyways, so to your question: On the GRE, I had a 1300, but i dunno what the avg is or what others have. ***MANY MSW programs (even some great ones) do NOT require the GRE (the silly test is not at all important to them), so you would not have to send them your scores. So, in that sense, you are a shoo-in. No worries. 3 LORs typically, direct experience is not needed. But if you feel like an unwanted child or failure of some sort while in the MSW program, I would strongly advise from even applying. What's the point? Take a year to test again or do masters psych (you'll quite likely get in immediately even with your GRE, many more schools offer masters than ones that are allowed to offer Ph.D., there are a whole lot more spots available, esp. since a masters is not a requirement for a Ph.D., those ppl won't even be applying) Do what you dream of though. And I know after you finish your ms in psych, you'd be studying for that GRE again (my guess) . might as well study now.

And I'd recommend contacting somebody from a couple of the rejected schools, schedule an appointment - then ask what can you work on to improve your application, how can I get in next year? Then at least if you reapply, somebody there will know you a little and he'll know you worked hard to try to improve your app (even if you don't meet his suggested number) For the positives, I think you'll be fine in a PhD program if you can find your way in, you seem passionate about psych so why stray? On a side note, I just entered MSW orientation this week - TONS of Psych Majors, vast majority. I think they want to be therapists/counselors and do not want the Ph.D. path.

Hope some of this helps. Let me know your thoughts.

FlStudent,

Thank you so much for your help and advice. I feel so much better after reading what you wrote.
I think I was just panicking because I was seeing that everyone was getting interviews to schools I really wanted to go to. I know there are a ton of other people in my situation right now, but it still feels personal.
I just hate that to the ad com I am a piece of paper, and not a person. If I could just get in for an interview I could wow them with my personality. I just feel it's not fair.
But with that aside, thanks for all of the encouragement about going on to get a Masters in Psych. I think I will still apply for those 4 programs, and hopefully get into a few so I at least have some choice.
I think I will take your advice and start studying for the GRE again, even though I won't be taking it for another 2 years. I don't know why I struggled with the V section or the A section. However, I have a serious problem doing math, especially without a calculator. I even got 10 hours of tutoring for the 2nd GRE and it barely helped. I don't know what to do about that issue :( and I can't afford to hire an offical GRE tutor. I just feel like I am perpetually screwed because I simply have never understood math. Sorry, I am ranting again. lol :D

Thanks again for your insight.