Requisite Board score for ER match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmesis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the average board scores of those who matched into ER? In high school, I studied just enough to get into a college I liked, and I did just enough in college to get into med school. After starting med school this year, I hope to continue this life-long trend, and do just enough to match into ER (interested in international medicine). So, what's the minimum that will put me in the running?

Members don't see this ad.

And as an ER resident, will you do "just enough" to save my life?

You are an idiot. I don?t know how many times I?ve come across self-righteous heme+ stools like you on these boards. But I?ll bite anyway. ?Doing just enough? means recognizing my limitations and not letting med school take over my life completely. Feckless twit, while you were busy squeezing that extra point or two out of your rectum for that orgo test, I was taking up music lessons, translating Plato from the original Greek (hence my screen moniker), or ruminating on the ramifications of Kierkegaard?s discussion of the ?teleological suspension of the ethical.? Indeed, I ended up with merely an A, instead of an A+, in orgo. Nor do I expect this pattern to change drastically during the pre-clinical years in med school, much of whose material is largely forgotten later, or clinically irrelevant anyway. I?ll work hard, but I?ll pursue outside interests too. This doesn?t sound so very radical to me. In a clinical setting, this will mean recognizing that I can?t learn everything, and knowing where my limits are and when to rely on others. Based on my record so far, I?ll probably end up being (or at least hope to become) a competent, above-average physician, though by no means the best. But I?ll do what I can to preserve my sanity, and give my life balance. If you have anything of value to say, then say it by all means. But spare us your meaningless and self-righteous one-liners. And do some Kegal exercises for your rectum (your major speech organ).

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to this page www.saem.org
there is alot of info regarding students trying to attain EM spots...you just have to search.
You may want to try www.emra.org

good luck

Thanks for the info...

It seems like medic170 pushed tmesis's button "just enough" to make him/her perform inpeccable platonic thought catharsis! Talk about verbal diarrhea... Not to mention anal fixations.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Rectum, rectum, rectum.

I don't know what the average board scores were this year, but I do know that it was a tough match in 2001. Out of 1001 spots offered, only 6 went unfilled.

2001 MATCH RESULTS

"taking up music lessons, translating Plato from the original Greek, or ruminating on the ramifications of Kierkegaard?s discussion of the 'teleological suspension of the ethical.'"

doesn't anyone drink anymore? i'll take milwaukee's best over existentialist philosophy for now.

bud

Mvalento, which lager would you rank as Milwaukee's Best? I don't think I've sampled their products since the days when we used to snitch Dad's Pabst Blue Ribbons from the fridge.....blech!

If you're willing to try beer from outside Milwaukee, you should try Alpine Lager or Moosehead Lager. They are from the Maritime Provinces in Canada, but are unmatched as far taste goes.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Kamikaze Dino (edited March 28, 2001).]

actually, by 'milwaukee's best' i was referring to the beer that actually has that name...or, as it is more commonly known around here, "the beast". PBR- yet another in the cooler of champions.

by the way, i think this subject may not concern the original thread topic. what was it again?

bud

The Beast, wow. Haven't had that stuff since I was an undergrad, but it brings back memories. As for that wildly libelous accusation of 'verbal diarrhea' and 'anal fixation' levelled against me, let me say in self-defense that I was taking a jab at the typical 'anal' premed. I am, however, resolutely a fan of good, clean bowel movements; let there be no doubt about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
To quote the great alshepard: "Rectum, rectum, rectum." Maybe tmesis should consider GE instead of EM as a career. If you're lucky, you could do "the bowell run of the stars".
Make a big "FORTOONA",as the Fat Man would say.

[This message has been edited by Kamikaze Dino (edited March 30, 2001).]

Hahahaha! Sometimes I wonder whether GE is in my cards, too. I'm not sure that LA is for me, but there is "fortoona" to be made in stars' bowels indeed. Or maybe the "anal scope".

Hear, hear! Beats the pocket mirror everytime!

[This message has been edited by Kamikaze Dino (edited April 02, 2001).]

Also, I don't think the analscope will be of any use in the ER.

Originally posted by Kamikaze Dino:
•Also, I don't think the analscope will be of any use in the ER.•

Yuck, one of my worst stories in the ER involves an analscope and someone with bowel obstruction. Patient had a volvulus (twisted bowel which results in obstruction) and the analscope untwisted it. It was a brown gyser. All over everywhere. At least I wasn't looking through the anal scope when it decompressed. And, it sure made the patient feel better.

Whoa, Pumpkin! You must be talking of a sigmoidoscope ar coloscope. The analscope is not for real. It was to be marketed as a tool to view your own anus in the comfort of your home instead of using a pocket mirror and contorting in some unbecoming posture. It was invented by the resident known as "the Fat Man" in the novel "House of God".

B-Flatblues, you sound like you just came out of the gross anatomy lab.

B-Flatblues, you sound like you just came out of the gross anatomy lab.

Actually, there's such a thing as an "anoscope," (I know through first hand experience -- but that's as much as I'll divulge!) although you may be correct about the "analscope."

What's so interesting about it, Kadava?