Reschedule MCAT and if so how to improve score in a short amount of time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Narcos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Iv been studying for my MCAT for about 4 months now. Im in a little situation. I took all the NS FL (1-9 )and did their content. Anyways, I just took a AAMC Fl exam and got a 493. I I took NS Exams and for the most part was averaging around a (498-499) I figured that the AAMC would be a little easier then NS but I guess thats not the case.

AAMC FL2 124/121/124/124
My highest NS 125/123/126/126

I really think that I messed up on this AAMC Fl 2 but I don't know if its worth it for me to take my scheduled MCAT MAY 5, <11 days or push it back another month or 2. Whats your guys take. I see on the score that I basically needed to get 5-10 more questions right in each category to get a 503. Is it possible that I somehow get that score. I have 11 days. I don't want to go in there banking on the fact that I have a big curve or something like that.

2 options:

- Take the MCAT May 5th and hope for the best (and apply to other schools early in the application cycle with my best MCAT score for a open seat)

- Reschedule for a month or 2 and apply late in the application cycle. (Lose 300+ apply late in the cycle)

If you think I should change the date for a month or two how should I take a different approach to studying. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity lol.

Any suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly if I were you I would push it back another year. You need to figure out what went wrong with your studying, because a 493 after 4 months of studying should not be happening. You need to be studying full time (40 hours a week) for 3+ months. Yes, I get that some people can do it in less time, but your scores show that you need the extra time. You should be reading through all of your content review books and making flash cards out of them and reviewing them daily, because a 493 shows a huge content gap.

Reactions: 1 user