1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

    Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Reschedule or Take Jun 5th?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by GolfUSA, 05.14.14.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. GolfUSA

    GolfUSA

    Joined:
    03.28.14
    Messages:
    84
    Location:
    Tennessee
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Hey guys, I've been struggling with the possibility of delaying my exam until July 12th or taking it as scheduled on June 5th. I have done 3 AAMC full lengths so far, and I've gotten a 33, 31, and 34. I just feel like another month would fix a lot of the stupid mistakes I've been making.

    I am applying this cycle and know that a later application is not ideal. Would it be worth delaying a month for 2-3 points higher on the MCAT (obviously speculation, but I believe it's definitely possible)? I will have my application ready to send to schools as soon as the scores come in, so it's either submit early July or early August.

    Thanks for your input!
     
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. GodComplex

    GodComplex 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    04.23.12
    Messages:
    164
    Location:
    California
    Status:
    Medical Student
    What kind of stupid mistakes are you talking about?
     
  4. GolfUSA

    GolfUSA

    Joined:
    03.28.14
    Messages:
    84
    Location:
    Tennessee
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Mostly missing a detail in the passage, or changing my answer because I am not 100% confident in the subject material. I just took the AAMC self assessment over the last couple days and got 82% Physics, 93% Gen Chem, 95% Organic (I tutored it for the last 2 years), and 93% Biology (although not under strenuous time constraints because I was trying to gauge my knowledge). I have not done the Verbal passages yet. Obviously, I am focusing on Physics practice as much as possible. I got absolutely killed by the discrete problems, with only 60% correct.

    I am really just torn on whether a higher score is worth the later application. I am about to take another AAMC full length after reviewing for a while so I'll probably gauge off that. Deadline is May 20th for reschedule.
     
  5. vanillabear55

    vanillabear55 just keep swimming 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    02.23.09
    Messages:
    645
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    why not compromise and take 2 weeks instead of the full month?

    EDIT: Meaning take the June 21st exam
     
  6. GolfUSA

    GolfUSA

    Joined:
    03.28.14
    Messages:
    84
    Location:
    Tennessee
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Ah, forgot to mention. There are no test dates in my area and I would have to go to another city about 4 hours away to do this. I don't really like the idea of doing it out my area just because it may throw off the routine. Thanks for the input! I am still considering this option.

    And I just scored a 33 on the AAMC test. P 10 V 11 B 12. I am happy with the scores I am getting, but I really think I could bring up the physical sciences side of things a decent amount with more time!
     
  7. vanillabear55

    vanillabear55 just keep swimming 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    02.23.09
    Messages:
    645
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)

    Ah gotcha, that makes sense. Were you planning on waiting until you had your scores to submit to AMCAS?
    I'm almost in the same boat as you. Taking AAMC #4 tomorrow and probably deciding based on that.

    What score are you aiming for? (other than a 45 of course :))
     
  8. GolfUSA

    GolfUSA

    Joined:
    03.28.14
    Messages:
    84
    Location:
    Tennessee
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I was thinking of submitting the week after I took it, so it could be verified in the next 3 weeks and then get the scores in when they come back. I am aiming for a 36 or so because I'd like to apply to a few schools in the area which are very competitive or be a candidate for financial aid at the state school. My ideal (realistic score) is P12V12B14 which would be my best subsections from the AAMCs I have taken thus far. I am just not being consistent in Physical Sciences for some reason.

    Let me know how it goes for you! I still haven't made my decision. :/ This is such a tough call...
     
  9. vanillabear55

    vanillabear55 just keep swimming 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    02.23.09
    Messages:
    645
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    I'm 99.99% pushing. I stayed exactly the same (traded a point between verbal and bio) and I'm still under 30, so frustrated right now.
     
  10. vanillabear55

    vanillabear55 just keep swimming 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    02.23.09
    Messages:
    645
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Did you make a decision?
     
  11. GolfUSA

    GolfUSA

    Joined:
    03.28.14
    Messages:
    84
    Location:
    Tennessee
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Yes, I rescheduled for July 12th... I just figured that I could never forgive myself if I went ahead and took it without feeling like I have done my best to be prepared. In my opinion, the risk involved in taking it before being ready and regretting it is greater than than the risk of applying a month later and regretting it.

    I just do not want to retake or have to reapply due to the costs, stress, ect. I plan to fill out the app and applying to a "throw away school" so I can get my app verified before the scores come back and then apply the day scores are in. Getting the app in by Early August really isn't that late in the cycle when it comes down to it, as long as it is verified and ready to go at that time.

    What about you?
     
  12. vanillabear55

    vanillabear55 just keep swimming 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    02.23.09
    Messages:
    645
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Definitely pushing, think the time would be really worth it, aiming for June 21st now.
    But I waited until the last day, so now I'm probably going to have to switch twice and wind up paying close to the full amount anyway :(
     

About the ads

Share This Page