Rescission of Offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ouch he's hurt... he's the one sitting on ivy acceptances... maybe all you overachieving pre-allos are just jealous ;)

Yeah I have to get caught up.. I was walking through the HUB (at Penn State) today and caught a glimpse on the big screen of this whole debacle. I hope that they don't yank Imus in the morning... it's the last thing that MSNBC has got over FOX.

Members don't see this ad.

No, I think it is more because everyone just tries to ignore you.

Go back to the Duke thread. You're wasting precious time over here when you could be expanding yet another page. Now tell us, how is that waitlist movement? Hopefully it will turn out better for you than Imus's career...

Members don't see this ad :)
ouch he's hurt... he's the one sitting on ivy acceptances... maybe all you overachieving pre-allos are just jealous ;)

Yeah I have to get caught up.. I was walking through the HUB (at Penn State) today and caught a glimpse on the big screen of this whole debacle. I hope that they don't yank Imus in the morning... it's the last thing that MSNBC has got over FOX.

...then you best plan on sleeping in for the next two weeks, my friend...

School A (Duke?) is gone, no amount of damage control will resurrect an offer. From what I have heard at second-looks, many MSTP programs have over-accepted by one or two people this year and, as always, the waitlists are deep.

If it is Duke, I can also see why these days they'd be particularly sensitive to drunken antics and "misbehavior" by its (potential) students since they're already (deservedly or not) playing major damage control on the school's image.

If it is Duke, I can also see why these days they'd be particularly sensitive to drunken antics and "misbehavior" by its (potential) students since they're already (deservedly or not) playing major damage control on the school's image.

I was wondering if it was Duke. Hmmm....

If it was something the student said, AND enough to get an offer rescinded, it's pretty bad. Whatever it is, isn't particularly important. Being drunk, and talking smack is a red flag on so many levels. First, it gets at the deceptiveness of the student, who obviously appeared pretty wholesome in the interviews - makes the school wonder what else is being covered up. Second, shows incredibly bad judgment to be drunk in such a setting and lose control to that extent. And worse, this feeds back on itself. If it wasn't a poor judgment slip of the tongue because of too much alcohol, then it wasn't much alcohol and it gets back to the character issue; a creep in sheep's clothing.

As Bergman once said : "Doomed! Doomed! Doomed!"

I don't think it matters how bad it is. It's just that it might not violate the student's contract with School B. Rescinding an offer is a huge thing to do, and my hunch is that schools want to cover all their bases before they do so. If the student gets caught cheating at his ugrad in his last semester and gets officially reprimanded/suspended/expelled, whatever, it's well documented. If the student gets convicted of something, again, you have really definitive documentation. Here, it's just sort of shady personal character stuff, but nothing as definitive as I think school B would like. This wasn't an issue for School A because whatever happened happened at their school.

Now, I think it's possible that people at School B will here about whatever happened and not be too welcoming to the student. However, I think they're going to want to some serious documentation before they withdraw their offer.

Other general thoughts -- the op's son does meet the DSM criteria for alcohol abuse, so alcohol treatment might not be totally out of line. Alcohol abuse just requires one instance of alcohol use interfering with your life. It's also probably the only thing that might maybe bring School A around -- yeah, probably still not going to happen, but it's a good way to show that you're addressing the problems.

Second thought -- maybe the kid shouldn't be going to the next second look weekend. If he made such a huge goof-up at the last second look weekend, I don't know if I'd trust him at another one.

Third thought -- it's his issue, not the op's, which means it's his job to fix it and to make all the final decisions about how to proceed.

I was wondering if it was Duke. Hmmm....

Duke's second-look was 3/30-4/1, so the time line certainly fits. He announced his son's MSTP acceptance on 3/5 and the number of Duke-related posts in his history seems to indicate it is/was a top choice.

Yeah, Imus went too far (even for Imus), but did you catch any of the "interview" he did on Al Sharpton's show? Rev. Al was making a bit of a spectacle of himself that if anything made Imus seem like the coherent, rational one.... :thumbdown:

Wow, that's so unlike him.

wow, thats an crazy story. I'm also thinking that the other schools will not withdraw their offers, due to lack of actually witnessing the event.

On another note, whos been to second looks and heard something absolutely ridiculous?! :eek:

Go back to the Duke thread. You're wasting precious time over here when you could be expanding yet another page. Now tell us, how is that waitlist movement? Hopefully it will turn out better for you than Imus's career...

First, I would go back to the Duke thread in peace but you keep popping up over there and putting in your two cents when nobody likes you.

Second, I just want everyone to know that HumbleMD tries to act like a badass in this forum by making snide remarks all over these threads. In all truth, if you ever say anything contrary to Humble, he will instantly PM you beggin and pleading with you to stop and basically crying so hard I'm surprised his computer didn't short. All in all, Humble you just need to learn how to act around other ppl. You obviously don't know how to do it on the forum. Luckily in real life you have learned to sit there and keep your mouth closed so just try to stick to that same strategy on the forum and you should be fine.

Last, if you don't believe me, say something about HumbleMD and see if he doesn't immediately PM you asking you to stop while posting on the thread how your remarks don't phase him or something equally ludicrous.

very good point :thumbup:

Duke's second-look was 3/30-4/1, so the time line certainly fits. He announced his son's MSTP acceptance on 3/5 and the number of Duke-related posts in his history seems to indicate it is/was a top choice.

good detective work.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, what I'm thinking is that there has got to be at least a few SDNers who were at the Duke 2nd look and witnessed this event. Anyone?!?

So, what I'm thinking is that there has got to be at least a few SDNers who were at the Duke 2nd look and witnessed this event. Anyone?!?

Seriously, I wanna know. This forum's full of inquiring minds.

you dont know yet that it ISNT illegal. It probably just happened, but if it got around, it's quite possible more than one person heard it, and more than one was offended, and potentially, it could be anything, including "hate speech", and therefore, the illegality of it, and the fact that it could end up resulting in a lawsuit, has yet to be determined.

I would say the chance of getting back into that school is zero, and there is a low probability for now of other schools finding out, but that probability rises depending on just how terrible a thing was said, and the potential for further action to be taken against said student.

This is a brief point but Panda maybe your European, speech codes are not in force in the US the way they are in Europe. Sure the courts have long held restrictions on the 1st amendment (libel,slander, incitement, some obsenity restrictions, the famous yelling fire in a crowded theater etc.) but using foul language or racial epithets isn't illegal. Maybe your confusing "hate speech" laws for "hate crimes" laws of which there are a few in the US. Don Imus won't be arrested for the "nappy headed hoes" comment just as Jesse Jackson didn't break the law when he called NYC "hymietown", etc. etc. Klan speech is also not illegal unless it becomes incitement to physical violence or they march without permits etc.

So I doubt this kid has to worry about LEGALITIES just his med school career. Many academic institutions do have "speech codes" (probably the justification they're using to drop him if they need one) that prohibit what they consider to be defamatory language but that doesn't make it illegal.

I think the worst thing that this person could do is have him/his dad post on this forum and make this into an even bigger deal.

I doubt this over concerned and dissappointed father told his son that he is trying to figure out how to clean up this mess.

I love that everyone's first inclination is that he said something racist or sexist...

My guess would be (as this was a social gathering) maybe he got a little too cocky trying to hit on a fellow second looker and boasted about how he had lied in his interview...

It's a little early to be calling him a bigot, alcoholic, objectifier of women, etc.

To me it just sounds like he's (or she?) just fucl<ing young. That's all.

Personally I wont go to the School B second look. Just in case you run into someone from School A who heard those comments. Second look arent really mandatory anyways...

Personally I wont go to the School B second look. Just in case you run into someone from School A who heard those comments. Second look arent really mandatory anyways...

:thumbup:
That's good advice. We have kind of derailed this thread with talk of current events and jealous/sad/infantile personal attacks, so thanks for bringing it back.

Amen to that. Why are you guys fighting?

Good question. I honestly have no idea. As you'll see the infantile attacks come out of nowhere. Just one day someone decided to get their panties in a bunch, and it was even before the Duke waitlist notice...

Even if this student still retains his acceptance at school B (or C), I agree that he should continue to try and clear the water on this mess. I wouldn't want that kind of reputation following me the rest of my career, and all it takes is one jack*** to remember the event and spread the rumors like wildfire. Things like that really can follow you around for quite some time. I hope everything works out.

On a second note, I would REALLY like to know what was said. Great stuff.

This is why there is disagreement. Humble tries to pretend he's not a big douchebag. All the while, he makes comments like a big douchebag and then starts crying when you call him a douchebag. Let me tell you what Humble's reply will consist of because he is that unoriginal: 1) He will make some ******* comment pretending like he has no idea why anyone wouldn't like him, 2) He will tell everyone to stop being so jealous about his good fortune in the application cycle, and 3) He will make some ******* comment about the Duke waitlist.

Can we please return to the douchebag... er, topic, at hand?

I concur with what YankeeCanuckMD and a few others have advised above: OP's son should skip the School B second-look. Plus, there are far more lurkers than posters on SDN. You can count on this cautionary tale making the rounds at the rest of this season's second-looks and probably for years to come. Having to sit there while future classmates rag on the "schmuck that blew his top choice" would be torture... actually, perhaps it is the perfect punishment.

Goodluck to him, your a good dad to stay so levelheaded over this and reach out for answers rather then just be super pissed. Personally, i'd say forget school A, because you dont want to start school on the wrong side of the faculty and the dean (who writes you a letter in your final year for residency placement)... not worth the ordeal. Hopefully school B is his 2nd choice and C is his 3rd, but keep your head up, this crap will be over soon and will be forgotten, and life will go on (no matter how much you think it wont). Goodluck

This is why there is disagreement. Humble tries to pretend he's not a big douchebag. All the while, he makes comments like a big douchebag and then starts crying when you call him a douchebag. Let me tell you what Humble's reply will consist of because he is that unoriginal: 1) He will make some ******* comment pretending like he has no idea why anyone wouldn't like him, 2) He will tell everyone to stop being so jealous about his good fortune in the application cycle, and 3) He will make some ******* comment about the Duke waitlist.

Edit: I forgot one... maybe he'll run to the moderators again like last time and cry that I am hurting his feelings on the forum while he pretends that nothing is wrong on the threads.

Now now boys. Humble you certainly have been getting in a lot of fights lately haven't you? And FCD...I can't really say much to support you cause you have a mean name:mad:

PS. The OP is never gonna tell what his son said. I am wondering what kind of strange dad would post on a forum asking for advice from a group of 21-30 year olds though....

Edit: I forgot one... maybe he'll run to the moderators again like last time and cry that I am hurting his feelings on the forum while he pretends that nothing is wrong on the threads.

Actually the conversation was completely civil until you showed up attacking him. I'm not gonna go back and look at post histories because I don't really care. You're interrupting the topic of this thread, please contribute something meaningful or go away. It's against TOS to make personal attacks, BTW, so if he did want to flag you to the mods, he'd be perfectly within his rights to do so. Hell, I almost hit the button myself because frankly these attack posts are annoying.

To the OP, (who is almost certainly trolling, seeing as how he's abandoned the thread), just spill what the kid did, man. Things are anonymous enough that the only people who would be able to place him are people who were there and saw it go down, anyway, so indulge our curiosity! If you're a troll, make something good up for our amusement!

I love that everyone's first inclination is that he said something racist or sexist...

My guess would be (as this was a social gathering) maybe he got a little too cocky trying to hit on a fellow second looker and boasted about how he had lied in his interview...

It's a little early to be calling him a bigot, alcoholic, objectifier of women, etc.

To me it just sounds like he's (or she?) just fucl<ing young. That's all.

Well, I guess we're assuming those things because there isn't much else that one could say in a few drunken comments that could cause such an extreme reaction by the school.

The other thing is, if this kid got trashed and did/said something terrible enough to get an admissions offer rescinded, what are the chances that he then turned around and told his dad the full story. I mean, would you tell your parents all the gory details about one of your drunken rages/exploits...especially if it was apparently so outrageous that you got the equivalent of expelled by your school? I'm wondering if there's more to the story than even the dad, for all his good intentions, knows.

Guys, lets keep it civil. Stay on topic or this thread will be closed. Also name calling, and fighting will be punished if it continues.

Guys, lets keep it civil. Stay on topic or this thread will be closed. Also name calling, and fighting will be punished if it continues.

No!! This is best thread we've had in a while. I need more schadenfreude in my life :)

This is a brief point but Panda maybe your European, speech codes are not in force in the US the way they are in Europe. Sure the courts have long held restrictions on the 1st amendment (libel,slander, incitement, some obsenity restrictions, the famous yelling fire in a crowded theater etc.) but using foul language or racial epithets isn't illegal. Maybe your confusing "hate speech" laws for "hate crimes" laws of which there are a few in the US. Don Imus won't be arrested for the "nappy headed hoes" comment just as Jesse Jackson didn't break the law when he called NYC "hymietown", etc. etc. Klan speech is also not illegal unless it becomes incitement to physical violence or they march without permits etc.

So I doubt this kid has to worry about LEGALITIES just his med school career. Many academic institutions do have "speech codes" (probably the justification they're using to drop him if they need one) that prohibit what they consider to be defamatory language but that doesn't make it illegal.

just confused...I shouldnt say criminal, because it is extremely unlikely the person said something that could be considered that way, since yes, hate speech for now isn't a criminal offense as far as I know, but I do confuse myself with the laws of other countries occassionally and forget that we havent yet reached that point. For a criminal charge, it would have had to have been something like yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre and creating a panic where people trampled each other to death. Then there might be some negligent liability. What Im really trying to get at is the issue of something that could end up resulting in civil charges, not criminal. And that wont happen until the offended party "lawyers up".

Actually the conversation was completely civil until you showed up attacking him. I'm not gonna go back and look at post histories because I don't really care.

Actually if you were to go back and look you'd find that I am defending others on this forum, Humble was rude first, and what you won't see is Humble PMing me pretending like he wants to make up while badmouthing me on the thread.

To the OP, sux to be "your son". I guess this is a good lesson for all of us??? Plus, I still wanna know what happened... does anyone know?

While I don't understand why everyone here hates HumbleMD, I just wanted to make one minor point of correction......

The only school that is part of the IVY league on his acceptance list is UPenn!! The other schools from the IVY league are not on there. They include Cornell, Columbia, Harvard, MIT, and a few others.

The IVY league is not necessarily a term used to rank schools so much as it is synonymous as being the NE's version of something like the SEC or the Big Ten. It is a name given in relation to something besides their status as academic powerhourses.

Yale is also another Ivy league school.

I think the correct words you wanted to use was top 20 ranked schools.

P.S. I believe Brown and Dartmouth are part of the IVY league as well.

I just read this entire thread and I can't adequately express how badly I want to know what this guy said. My curiosity is eating away at me. Please, for the love of god, tell us what was said!!!

While I don't understand why everyone here hates HumbleMD, I just wanted to make one minor point of correction......

The only school that is part of the IVY league on his acceptance list is UPenn!! The other schools from the IVY league are not on there. They include Cornell, Columbia, Harvard, MIT, and a few others.

The IVY league is not necessarily a term used to rank schools so much as it is synonymous as being the NE's version of something like the SEC or the Big Ten. It is a name given in relation to something besides their status as academic powerhourses.

Yale, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, UPenn, Dartmouth

Yale, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, UPenn, Dartmouth

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yeah of which Humble is accepted so far, only to UPenn. So that's one Ivy League, not several!!! :laugh: :laugh:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yeah of which Humble is accepted so far, only to UPenn. So that's one Ivy League, not several!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Lol - No problem. A worthless list I memorized when trying to convince my family that UPenn was not the same as a random state school in PA several years ago...

Err, MIT isn't an Ivy. Does MIT even have a football team?

(Oh, it does...who knew? :))

:laugh: Hey, well, what can I say? Occasionally my minute-by-minute coverage of Anna Nicole's life/death/autopsy/paternity suit gets interrupted by crappy stories like this or Darfur or Iran or you know, other stuff that nobody cares about. :rolleyes: It's a total drag man... like f'er sure, totally.

i'm not sure that imus' racism/misogyny ranks up there with ongoing genocide or international brinkmanship or deserves a quarter of the cover it's gotten. now, if he'd called out us chinks, that'd be another story.

First of all, many thanks to all of you who tried to answer my procedural question regarding the flow of information on acceptance/rescission status between schools. That was all I really needed "advice" on and I didn't think it "strange" to ask that of a group of people, regardless of age, who collectively have an enormous amount of knowledge of the med school admissions process. Thanks again.

Second, I understand many of you are curious regarding what specifc comments were made by the student in question. I was not there and School A did not provide that information. I do know that no faculty or staff were involved and the origin of the complaint was some fellow second look attendees at some later date. The student was not asked for his version of events by the School at any time. In his version of events he was very very drunk and made some comments that might easily have been offensive to individuals from one area of the country (these were not racial or gender based, but they were definetely perceivable as offensive nonetheless). Other attendees have supposedly said that nothing offensive was ever said, but those witnesses might be biased.

I'll let you know how this all turns out in a few weeks. There are lessons to be learned here for all of us.

No!! This is best thread we've had in a while. I need more schadenfreude in my life :)

I just read this entire thread and I can't adequately express how badly I want to know what this guy said. My curiosity is eating away at me. Please, for the love of god, tell us what was said!!!

A-men to you both...and here I was, thinking SDN would be boring and slpw until May 15th...

Good to know I have some mdapplicants stalkers....

(and apparently that I have to feel like a failure for only aplying to Penn)

Err, MIT isn't an Ivy. Does MIT even have a football team?

(Oh, it does...who knew? :))

Woops. I apologize and thanks Stiffany for her kind post making all clarifications. :D :p :biglove: :love: :banana:

Good to know I have some mdapplicants stalkers....

(and apparently that I have to feel like a failure for only aplying to Penn)

Sorry, I was just trying to make a point that people should get the right terminology. I don't have anything against you like the others on here. Actually never really understood why they hate you so much. I was just making a point that people need to realize that the IVY league is a sports league of some NE schools and not synonymous with top 10 schools just because some of them are on it. Thanks hope you aren't offended. Good luck with your decisions!!!! :D

First of all, many thanks to all of you who tried to answer my procedural question regarding the flow of information on acceptance/rescission status between schools. That was all I really needed "advice" on and I didn't think it "strange" to ask that of a group of people, regardless of age, who collectively have an enormous amount of knowledge of the med school admissions process. Thanks again.

Second, I understand many of you are curious regarding what specifc comments were made by the student in question. I was not there and School A did not provide that information. I do know that no faculty or staff were involved and the origin of the complaint was some fellow second look attendees at some later date. The student was not asked for his version of events by the School at any time. In his version of events he was very very drunk and made some comments that might easily have been offensive to individuals from one area of the country (these were not racial or gender based, but they were definetely perceivable as offensive nonetheless). Other attendees have supposedly said that nothing offensive was ever said, but those witnesses might be biased.

I'll let you know how this all turns out in a few weeks. There are lessons to be learned here for all of us.

Jokes about southerners at Duke??? Come on, throw us a bone here...

I have a hard time believing a school would rescind an acceptance based on hearsay from other acceptees, but I guess it's possible if it was multiple, independent complaints. But still...

Larry Birkhead is the father...holy sh...

Jokes about southerners at Duke??? Come on, throw us a bone here...

I have a hard time believing a school would rescind an acceptance based on hearsay from other acceptees, but I guess it's possible if it was multiple, independent complaints. But still...

Larry Birkhead is the father...holy sh...
Well if red-neck jokes keep you out of Duke, then I guess Jeff Foxworthy won't be attending anytime soon. Although I don't know if the jokes are what would keep Jeff Foxworthy out of DukeMed...
Sorry, I was just trying to make a point that people should get the right terminology. I don't have anything against you like the others on here. Actually never really understood why they hate you so much. I was just making a point that people need to realize that the IVY league is a sports league of some NE schools and not synonymous with top 10 schools just because some of them are on it. Thanks hope you aren't offended. Good luck with your decisions!!!! :D
Thanks. Yeah, people do seem to equate Ivy league with elite, rather than understanding its a League