Rescission of Offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'm not sure that imus' racism/misogyny ranks up there with ongoing genocide or international brinkmanship or deserves a quarter of the cover it's gotten. now, if he'd called out us chinks, that'd be another story.

I totally agree with that. It seems like there is an inverse relationship between a topic's importance and the amount of coverage it receives. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. Yeah, people do seem to equate Ivy league with elite, rather than understanding its a League

...of mostly horrible football teams that used to not suck quite as much about 100 years ago... :laugh:

Jokes about southerners at Duke??? Come on, throw us a bone here...

I have a hard time believing a school would rescind an acceptance based on hearsay from other acceptees, but I guess it's possible if it was multiple, independent complaints. But still...

Larry Birkhead is the father...holy sh...

That's odd because normally people in the south just roll with it. Sure, it gets irritating but not so bad that you'll want to get someone kicked out of school.

Go Larry Birkhead. It'll be interesting (well, not really) to see how much longer that other guy holds out.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's odd because normally people in the south just roll with it. Sure, it gets irritating but not so bad that you'll want to get someone kicked out of school.

Go Larry Birkhead. It'll be interesting (well, not really) to see how much longer that other guy holds out.

He said he's not going to fight for custody...sorry for the hijack, but I love this crap

Really though, do you guys think a school would rescind an MSTP acceptance because he offended other acceptees with "jokes" about people "from a certain geographic region." Especially since the school got this info from other acceptees. I wonder if there's something else going on here.

Really though, do you guys think a school would rescind an MSTP acceptance because he offended other acceptees with "jokes" about people "from a certain geographic region." Especially since the school got this info from other acceptees. I wonder if there's something else going on here.

Hmm.. he could have called people rednecks, but I live in KENTUCKY for god's sake and people don't get worked up about being called rednecks here..

Also could have referred to Yankees?? or... a derogatory term for Mexican/Hispanic people? That could also be considered a geographic region.

I have a hard time believing that someone would have an acceptance rescinded for a redneck joke.. Unless it was a really spiteful 'redneck trailer trash Southerner' type of joke?? Odd.

...of mostly horrible football teams that used to not suck quite as much about 100 years ago... :laugh:

Ahem. American football as we know and love it was invented by the Ivy League (aka the "Ancient Eight"). So show a little respect and be nice. :p

---

Well, I hope dude learns whatever lesson the school was trying to teach him (if they weren't just trying to appease the offended MSTP applicants), and doesn't just learn to hide it better. Whoever recommended (Dr. Bagel?) the kid spend some time working on his probable alcohol problem gave good advice. Rational people don't take such stupid risks with their dreams.

Oh, and Humble, you had better get drunk this weekend. Don't even front.

...In his version of events he was very very drunk and made some comments that might easily have been offensive to individuals from one area of the country...

Now if these comments were about southerners, that might very well be offensive to people at Duke and other attendees that are from the south. I would/do feel really bad if the student said something that is pretty much socially acceptable in NY or wherever his home state is. Cmon.. we always make fun of people in the south up here...but that doesn't mean we dislike southerners??? I'm suuuuure people in the south make fun of us Yankees.

Hmm.. he could have called people rednecks, but I live in KENTUCKY for god's sake and people don't get worked up about being called rednecks here..

Also could have referred to Yankees?? or... a derogatory term for Mexican/Hispanic people? That could also be considered a geographic region.

I have a hard time believing that someone would have an acceptance rescinded for a redneck joke.. Unless it was a really spiteful 'redneck trailer trash Southerner' type of joke?? Odd.

THAT might have elicited a complaint or two from southerners attending the second look...hmm...

First of all, many thanks to all of you who tried to answer my procedural question regarding the flow of information on acceptance/rescission status between schools. That was all I really needed "advice" on and I didn't think it "strange" to ask that of a group of people, regardless of age, who collectively have an enormous amount of knowledge of the med school admissions process. Thanks again.

Second, I understand many of you are curious regarding what specifc comments were made by the student in question. I was not there and School A did not provide that information. I do know that no faculty or staff were involved and the origin of the complaint was some fellow second look attendees at some later date. The student was not asked for his version of events by the School at any time. In his version of events he was very very drunk and made some comments that might easily have been offensive to individuals from one area of the country (these were not racial or gender based, but they were definetely perceivable as offensive nonetheless). Other attendees have supposedly said that nothing offensive was ever said, but those witnesses might be biased.

I'll let you know how this all turns out in a few weeks. There are lessons to be learned here for all of us.

If the entire decision was based on something related by some other second-lookers, with no representative from the school in a position to directly verify the truth or falseness of the allegation, and your son wasn't even contacted to provide his version of events ... well, I'm not usually a confrontational person, but if it happened exactly the way you say it did, I'd be on the phone to my attorney in a hot second. "Arbitrary and capricious" is the phrase that immediately comes to mind.

Ahem. American football as we know and love it was invented by the Ivy League (aka the "Ancient Eight"). So show a little respect and be nice. :p

Hey, I'm an alum of two of those schools, so I have full rights to make fun of 'em. :laugh: I mean, the fun of Harvard-Yale isn't just the rivalry, or the tailgating, but it's also watching two of the world's worst teams play each other (one game I went to had about 20 turnovers)....

If the entire decision was based on something related by some other second-lookers, with no representative from the school in a position to directly verify the truth or falseness of the allegation, and your son wasn't even contacted to provide his version of events ... well, I'm not usually a confrontational person, but if it happened exactly the way you say it did, I'd be on the phone to my attorney in a hot second. "Arbitrary and capricious" is the phrase that immediately comes to mind.

I agree. There's no way the kid should lose his spot if it actually went down the way MSTPdad describes. Which makes me think it didn't go down that way. If it did, he would be objecting right now rather than apologizing.

I agree. There's no way the kid should lose his spot if it actually went down the way MSTPdad describes. Which makes me think it didn't go down that way. If it did, he would be objecting right now rather than apologizing.

are you saying everything on the internet is not as it seems?!

WITCHCRAFT!

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, many thanks to all of you who tried to answer my procedural question regarding the flow of information on acceptance/rescission status between schools. That was all I really needed "advice" on and I didn't think it "strange" to ask that of a group of people, regardless of age, who collectively have an enormous amount of knowledge of the med school admissions process. Thanks again.

Second, I understand many of you are curious regarding what specifc comments were made by the student in question. I was not there and School A did not provide that information. I do know that no faculty or staff were involved and the origin of the complaint was some fellow second look attendees at some later date. The student was not asked for his version of events by the School at any time. In his version of events he was very very drunk and made some comments that might easily have been offensive to individuals from one area of the country (these were not racial or gender based, but they were definetely perceivable as offensive nonetheless). Other attendees have supposedly said that nothing offensive was ever said, but those witnesses might be biased.

I'll let you know how this all turns out in a few weeks. There are lessons to be learned here for all of us.

*Sniff sniff* :bullcrap:

I dont think its anything else. I believe Duke is really trying to clean up its image after the recently highly publicised drunken lacrosse team incident. So they probably brought in a zero-tolerance rule, which MSTPdad's son was made an example of.

TO OP: School B will never find out. And even if it did, they cant do anything about it...other than not give him a scholarship, but considering he is a MSTP student, he doesnt even have to worry about that. I would still not go to Second look of School B just because of the chance of meeting the offending group (who i presume reported the "nasty comment/s" to the dean) at the School A party.

I dont think its anything else. I believe Duke is really trying to clean up its image after the recently highly publicised druken lacrosse team incident. So they probably brought in a zero-tolerance rule, which MSTPdad's son was made an example of.

TO OP: School B will never find out. And even if it did, they cant do anything about it...other than not give him a scholarship, but considering he is a MSTP student, he doesnt even have to worry about that. I would still not go to Second look of School B just because of the chance of meeting the offending group (who i presume reported the "nasty comment/s" to the dean) at the School A party.

druken?

Wow, has nobody called troll on this one yet?

Wow, has nobody called troll on this one yet?

We're all half-hoping it's a true story, in that slowing-down-to-see-a-horrific-car-accident kind of way (no offense, OP).

I dont think its anything else. I believe Duke is really trying to clean up its image after the recently highly publicised druken lacrosse team incident. So they probably brought in a zero-tolerance rule, which MSTPdad's son was made an example of.

Not a particularly big fan of Duke (particularly after slaving over their sh*tty secondary for nothing), but let's not forget that the 'lacrosse team incident' and subsequent media crucifixion of the players was based on what turned out to be completely made-up crap from a skanky, lying ho. If Duke needs to be worried about anything, it should be worried about treating people fairly in the face of what could turn out to be a baseless allegation.

They shouldn't be serving up booze to their future students. If anything, that is sort of Boratesque.

Not a particularly big fan of Duke (particularly after slaving over their sh*tty secondary for nothing), but let's not forget that the 'lacrosse team incident' and subsequent media crucifixion of the players was based on what turned out to be completely made-up crap from a skanky, lying ho. If Duke needs to be worried about anything, it should be worried about treating people fairly in the face of what could turn out to be a baseless allegation.
Hey Imus, do you think she was nappy-headed also?

EDIT: Damn Penny, you beat me to it...

Thanks. Yeah, people do seem to equate Ivy league with elite, rather than understanding its a League

Really the reason the term Ivy League is meant to confer prestige is because the undergraduate universities of those institutions are all very prestigious. It may not be the case that all Ivy League schools have top 20 ranked medical schools, but all of them are in the top TEN for undergrads except Cornell and Brown (which are top 15). I think any grouping of 8 schools that can say they are in the top 15 in the nation would appropriately be called prestigious.

So using the term "Ivy League" to convey prestige is appropriate in general cases, but may not be so appropriate to this specific case of medical schools.

So using the term "Ivy League" to convey prestige is appropriate in general cases, but may not be so appropriate to this specific case of medical schools.

no it's not. 'Ivy League' refers to specific schools. That's like saying Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Koenigsegg are all "Italian supercars"

Really the reason the term Ivy League is meant to confer prestige is because the undergraduate universities of those institutions are all very prestigious. It may not be the case that all Ivy League schools have top 20 ranked medical schools, but all of them are in the top TEN for undergrads except Cornell and Brown (which are top 15). I think any grouping of 8 schools that can say they are in the top 15 in the nation would appropriately be called prestigious.

Yes but in response to top 10 schools, NOT every IVY league school is a top 10 school. In fact, UPenn, HMS, Yale, and Columbia. The remainder of the IVY league schools while in the top 20 are not top 10 schools. People often assume that the other top 10 schools are IVY league schools because they don't understand the true meaning or definition of IVY league. That is why I brought it up.

no it's not. 'Ivy League' refers to specific schools. That's like saying Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Koenigsegg are all "Italian supercars"

The point is, if one were to tell you "I go to an Ivy" you would assume they go to a prestigious school, being that any one of the Ivy's is prestigious. I am not saying "Ivy League" is a term you can use to describe schools like MIT, or Vanderbilt.

The point is, if one were to tell you "I go to an Ivy" you would assume they go to a prestigious school, being that any one of the Ivy's is prestigious. I am not saying "Ivy League" is a term you can use to describe schools like MIT, or Vanderbilt.
If someone told me "I go to an Ivy" I'd assume they went to Brown, and then proceed to roll my eyes...
:rolleyes:

Yes but in response to top 10 schools, NOT every IVY league school is a top 10 school. In fact, UPenn, HMS, Yale, and Columbia. The remainder of the IVY league schools while in the top 20 are not top 10 schools. People often assume that the other top 10 schools are IVY league schools because they don't understand the true meaning or definition of IVY league. That is why I brought it up.

Yeah, I mean Ivy league isn't a reference to the top 10, it just so happens that all the ivy league schools are top 15 schools. So people have transitioned into using that term for non-ivy schools because they may think the ivy league simply refers to some ranking of schools.

agreed.

But if someone went so far as to say "I went to an Ivy" you have ask why they're not just saying what school they went to.

again, i blame witchcraft.

Yeah, I mean Ivy league isn't a reference to the top 10, it just so happens that all the ivy league schools are top 15 schools. So people have transitioned into using that term for non-ivy schools because they may think the ivy league simply refers to some ranking of schools.

I don't know about undergrad rankings, but actually Brown and Dartmouth which are both Ivy leagues are not even top 20 much less top 15 or top 10. They are actually ranked in the mid to late 30's.

I don't know about undergrad rankings, but actually Brown and Dartmouth which are both Ivy leagues are not even top 20 much less top 15 or top 10. They are actually ranked in the mid to late 30's.

For undergrad Dartmouth is 9th, and Brown is 15th...but yeah, in terms of med school, Dartmouth is 32 and Brown is 34...but I think it's usually undergrad rankings people think of when tossing around "ivy league prestige".

For undergrad Dartmouth is 9th, and Brown is 15th...I think it's usually undergrad rankings people think of when tossing around "ivy league".

Undergrad? But this is SDN. We conceive all things in terms of medical schools.

As well as USNews rankings.

Undergrad? But this is SDN. We conceive all things in terms of medical schools.

As well as USNews rankings.

I was just tossing up their undergrad rankings since Gujudoc said she didn't have them on hand. (But yes, Dartmouth is 32 and Brown is 34.)

I was just tossing up their undergrad rankings since Gujudoc said she didn't have them on hand. (But yes, Dartmouth is 32 and Brown is 34.)

And I was just kidding.

While I don't understand why everyone here hates HumbleMD, I just wanted to make one minor point of correction......

The only school that is part of the IVY league on his acceptance list is UPenn!! The other schools from the IVY league are not on there. They include Cornell, Columbia, Harvard, MIT, and a few others.

The IVY league is not necessarily a term used to rank schools so much as it is synonymous as being the NE's version of something like the SEC or the Big Ten. It is a name given in relation to something besides their status as academic powerhourses.

Yale is also another Ivy league school.

I think the correct words you wanted to use was top 20 ranked schools.

MIT isnt an Ivy.

Koenigsegg is not Italian.

MIT isnt an Ivy.

actually Brown and Dartmouth which are both Ivy leagues are not even top 20 much less top 15 or top 10.

Wow. I don't believe I have ever seen so much wrongness on a single thread. It's good we're all here to check up on each other ... I almost went to bed thinking that MIT is an Ivy, Koenigsegg is Italian, and that "drunken" is spelled "druken." Whew!

Wow. I don't believe I have ever seen so much wrongness on a single thread. It's good we're all here to check up on each other ... I almost went to bed thinking that MIT is an Ivy, Koenigsegg is Italian, and that "drunken" is spelled "druken." Whew!

lol. Excuse my error in the spelling of the word "drunken". SDN should have a spell check built in.

lol. Excuse my error in the spelling of the word "drunken". SDN should have a spell check built in.

Yeah, what's the deal with that? On certain computers I use, SDN does have a spell check for me. It's beautiful. I guess it must have to do with the web browser. Anyone know?

Yeah, what's the deal with that? On certain computers I use, SDN does have a spell check for me. It's beautiful. I guess it must have to do with the web browser. Anyone know?

Knew verssionss off Firefoxx half it bilt inn. Its reely helpfull.

the only reason I pointed it out in the first place is because you bolded it in your paragraph. I mean, if you're going to bold something, you might as well make sure it's spelled correctly. Sort of jumps right out at you.

Good to know I have some mdapplicants stalkers....

(and apparently that I have to feel like a failure for only aplying to Penn)

Penn is arguably one of the better "ivy-league" schools anyway.. why? bc it's not harvard, yale, or princeton and its' in my home state. That's as good of a reason as any :thumbup: