Rescore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1068095

Hey Guys,
Have anybody that has received a re-score in the past had their materials mailed through USPS? If so please contact me directly.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the "glitch" was halving your break time, or was there anything else that interfered with your answer choices? For example, there is a somewhat common glitch, where the system does not register your answer choices -- AAMC explicitly mentions this glitch before you start the test, so you cannot argue against this. You're responsible for double-checking all the answers.

Also, what do you mean by "scored exactly 50% of each of the four sections." AAMC is scored based on percentiles, so there is absolutely no way of knowing how many problems you got wrong based on the score you receive. Say you "know" you got only 10 problems wrong on C/P, but you can still receive 125 if everybody else also did well. Everything is scored relative to the median.

Looks like they already rescored your exam. I don't think receiving a re-score via USPS will make any difference, especially with COVID-19 where mailing or any in-person consultation is discouraged. I wish you the best of luck.

You are incorrect in your description of how the MCAT is scored. And yes you can, you can simply take a practice exam and see how many questions you missed related to the perfect score.

He's not incorrect about the scoring. Unlike the practice exams, the real exam is graded on a curve of all of the test takers for that version of the exam. You did not get a 50% on any section, you scored in the 50th percentile in all of the sections.

Your circumstance does sound a little suspicious, but also keep in mind that the largest group of test-takers score in the 50th percentile. 80,000 MCATs a year with ~3.5% (2,800) getting in the 50th percentile. I did calculate the probability of getting a 125 in all sections to be 0.000150062% or .12005 exams per/year, but that is also based on a random distribution, and it is likely that one's probability of scoring a 125 in one section increases if they score a 125 in another section.
1597858228324.png

Reactions: 1 user
Yes half my break time was missing. Meaning i took a 11 minute lunch break and came back to the computer with ~270 seconds remaining. This occurred on all sections.
You are incorrect in your description of how the MCAT is scored. And yes you can, you can simply take a practice exam and see how many questions you missed related to the the perfect score. You can also google and find threads where students discuss other methods.
You also are not understanding what i am saying. I don't want a re-re-scored exam. I am just curious if anybody else had experience with re-scores and the AAMC. If you are curious as to what i am asking please re-read the post.
I appreicate your wish of good luck! Thank you for contributing!
Ah, I see. I’ve tutored a lot of students who also occasionally ask for rescore (3 or 4 students). Every single one of them came back with exam same score. One of the students got 118 on P/S, when she consistently scored 128-129 on practice tests. Asked for a rescore and got the same exact result. Broadly speaking, this is N = 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
And yes you can, you can simply take a practice exam and see how many questions you missed related to the the perfect score. You can also google and find threads where students discuss other methods.
I’m afraid you are generalizing how practice tests are scored to how the actual exams are scored. I have to agree with scrubs that the actual test is scored based on percentiles. Again, there is no way of knowing how many problems you got wrong based on your actual scores.

I am generalizing because i have gone into detail with the people who score the exam. And again, it is not related to the point of the post. I was adding information to explain the strangeness related to the exam. Not as material to specifically responded to. And the content of your post is not correct i am afraid.
" I have to agree with scrubs that the actual test is scored based on percentiles"
Yes that is how it is scored but in no way relates to my post.

It is pertinent to your post because the reason you are arguing that your situation is strange is because you are saying you got 50% of the questions correct, but there is no way for you to calculate how many questions you got correct on the real exam because you don't know how the AAMC scaled the scores (unless you have access to that info somehow, because its not public as far as I know).

I am generalizing because i have gone into detail with the people who score the exam. And again, it is not related to the point of the post. I was adding information to explain the strangeness related to the exam. Not as material to specifically responded to. And the content of your post is not correct i am afraid.
" I have to agree with scrubs that the actual test is scored based on percentiles"
Yes that is how it is scored but in no way relates to my post.
If it’s not related to the post, then why are you keep talking about it? I still have to disagree with you, regarding “ and the content of your post is not correct I’m afraid.”

Regardless, I’m not here to lecture you or let you play who’s right or wrong. I’m just trying to help you. Clearly, you’re not familiar with how SDN works. So far, I’m the only person who is willing to assist with your issue. I’m just gonna mute this thread and will contact you once I hear back from my previous students.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.