Jun 11, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I am just wondering when things start counting for AMCAS activities. If you do research the summer after HS, do you count that?

Thank you for your help.

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
Status
Medical Student
I think you can, especially if it's through the university and not something that is typically done by high-schoolers (ie, an undergrad-level activity). You'll list the date, so adcoms can give it the weight it deserves.

URHere

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The general rule for a resume is:

1) If you have only been through one or two years of college, list activities from the past 4 years.

2) After that, only list things you have done since the beginning of college.

The summer before high school and college is a bit of a gray zone, but I don't think it would hurt to include the activity on a resume or AMCAS application. Worst case scenario, someone will decide to ignore it.

OP
Stewie32
Jun 11, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for your help. I'm just putting in a lot of work for this (40 hrs/week). Although it's an amazing learning experience, I didn't want it to be a nonfactor when it comes to med school admissions (especially because I plan on applying to the med school that this research is affiliated with).

orrghead16

decimals and dollars
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I know especially if it is continuous from HS on into college, you can count on putting it down. My research started in the middle of HS, and I for sure was not going to just lop off my first two years of research on my AMCAS.

I think you have some lee-way on what to put. The biggest thing is just not to be ridiculous. If it was meaningful and/or very important, you might consider it. Just don't go digging by putting things like National Merit, etc. on your app.

ReptarBar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
i always thought it counted...i mean it is after high school, and you are considered a freshman during that time, but you guys seem to think otherwise...