Jun 11, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I am just wondering when things start counting for AMCAS activities. If you do research the summer after HS, do you count that?

Thank you for your help.

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
Status
  1. Medical Student
I think you can, especially if it's through the university and not something that is typically done by high-schoolers (ie, an undergrad-level activity). You'll list the date, so adcoms can give it the weight it deserves.

URHere

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status
  1. Attending Physician
The general rule for a resume is:

1) If you have only been through one or two years of college, list activities from the past 4 years.

2) After that, only list things you have done since the beginning of college.

The summer before high school and college is a bit of a gray zone, but I don't think it would hurt to include the activity on a resume or AMCAS application. Worst case scenario, someone will decide to ignore it.

About the Ads
Jun 11, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks for your help. I'm just putting in a lot of work for this (40 hrs/week). Although it's an amazing learning experience, I didn't want it to be a nonfactor when it comes to med school admissions (especially because I plan on applying to the med school that this research is affiliated with).

orrghead16

decimals and dollars
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2007
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I know especially if it is continuous from HS on into college, you can count on putting it down. My research started in the middle of HS, and I for sure was not going to just lop off my first two years of research on my AMCAS.

I think you have some lee-way on what to put. The biggest thing is just not to be ridiculous. If it was meaningful and/or very important, you might consider it. Just don't go digging by putting things like National Merit, etc. on your app.

ReptarBar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2008
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
i always thought it counted...i mean it is after high school, and you are considered a freshman during that time, but you guys seem to think otherwise...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads