Research Advice!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JillianF9312

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So... I've been involved in extensive research at my school for over a year now (I'm currently a junior). I spend 15+ hrs/wk in the lab and get credit for it (as well as a letter grade). I have decided in order to prepare for the MCAT, taking research off this spring semester would be a plausible idea. I have to return to prepare my senior thesis my senior year, so it will show on my transcript that I stopped research for one semester. My PI was completely okay with this, and told me I'm more than welcome to return when need be.

How does this look? Do you think I should put in some more hours volunteering at the hospital? I already have about 80 hrs at the hospital, plus tons of volunteering from being on the board of clubs. Is it okay for me to focus on my EC's and school work, including MCAT work?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!!! I truly appreciate them.

Of course. I only had about 50 hrs of shadowing and decent amount of volunteering. If you really think that taking a semster off of research will help you prepare for the MCAt go for it. Don't feel the need to do more volunteering hours at the hospital unless it's like a few hours a week. Looks like you've got a decent amount of hours already so just focus on that MCAT and kill it!

Take the semester off. Any possible negative results will be outweighed by the benefits of the better preparation on the MCAT. That's one of the biggest things that will affect your application.

Reactions: 1 users