Research Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabdul

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently working with an MD, trying to get case reports and other manuscripts published, so I'm hoping that I'll end up being second author or at least acknowledged in the publications. At the same time, I've also secured a volunteer position at a biomechanics lab at my school for the summer. The volunteer position has yet to begin. I'm starting to feel that I won't be able to handle the volunteer position at the lab plus the one with the MD plus studying for the MCAT at the same time. I also want to volunteer with my family physician to get some clinical exposure. So, my question is, would the publication business I'm involved in with the MD count as research experience? Would you advise that I give up the volunteer position in the biomechanics lab? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO: There aren't enough hours in the day to do all of the things you want to do (well). I'd definitely suggest only working with one PI, and I'd choose the one that is more likely to publish. Also, being listed as an author and getting an acknowledgment are very different things. To be honest, an acknowledgment at the end of a paper isn't worth much. Do what you can to be an author.

Ok. So, a follow-up question. If I can only get acknowledgements, would that still be better than the volunteer position in the biomechanics lab? Because, I think I may have to really go out of my way and step up if I want to make author with my supervisor. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably wont get much out of any lab that your only volunteering in for a summer. I would stick with the lab your already working on publishable material and FOCUS on your MCATs.

are case reports viewed as real research?

I believe so; however I doubt they are comparable to bench research or clinical research.

You probably wont get much out of any lab that your only volunteering in for a summer. I would stick with the lab your already working on publishable material and FOCUS on your MCATs.

Well. I'm not actually working in a lab. It's more of a neurologist's private clinic. Does that count?

Last edited:
Well. I'm not actually working in a lab. It's more of a neurologist's private clinic. Does that count?

Im not sure, but really doing 3 months or so of volunteer research in an actual lab isnt going to get you much...theres very little that anyone can do in that short span on time in a lab.

Atleast if its a private clinic your currently working in, you can count it as clinical experience?