Research and GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mewtoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time judging if the amount of research experience I have is normal for an applicant or more. I know everyone says 2 years experience is the minimum pretty much for admittance to PhDs, but is that all they normally have? Or do they have a few publications or presentations on their CV?

This is my experience so far:
I will have had 2 years experience when I graduate in May as a RA.
I have completed an empirical experiment (albeit in social psych and not clinical as those opportunities do not exist at my school) that I wrote, conducted, etc. and am first author on it with my professor. We plan on submitting to regional and national conferences for poster presentations.
I am currently writing a manuscript (that is somewhat related to clinical as we are dealing with ED symptomatology) with my main research professor that we are submitting to a clinical journal in November so it will appear on my CV.
I've already presented a clinical-related poster at a regional conference as third author.
I will most likely present another poster with my lab at a regional conference.

So is this more than an average applicant has? Also would this amount make up for a mediocre GRE? I got a 1040 on the old one. I'm taking the new one, but for these purposes its probably better to assume I will score about the same (on the new scale of course). And (just in case this will help you formulate your opinions) my GPA should be around a 3.5 when I apply and I will have strong LORs.

Thanks in advance for any responses! :]

Members don't see this ad.

Your research experience sounds very extensive--I definitely think it would be "enough" for most PhD programs, although I am not sure about the more competitive ones (such as UNC-Chapel Hill). But it also depends on what you've done in those 2 years as a research assistant; if they were spent doing mainly data entry, that won't help you much. If you've gotten the opportunity to work on other things (which it sounds like you have), then you should be fine. I don't know whether this is more or less than the average applicant, but from what I can see you more or less have the same amount as the average applicant (other SDN posters, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this). I'll also add that I'm more familiar with the standards for research experience that most people have straight out of undergrad, and I'm not sure about the standards for someone who has taken time off to work in a research lab. And I apologize in advance if my response isn't that helpful! I just don't want to give you wrong information.

Whether or not that offsets a lower GRE score, I can't be sure. I've heard over and over again that most programs have an unofficial GRE cutoff score, and it's usually around 1200 or 1250. If that's true, and I think that it is, then your application might not get to the 2nd round where they actually look at your research experience. So the best advice I can give you is to study your butt off for the new GRE and try to get your score to at least a 1200, but more realistically a 1350 if you're looking at the more competitive programs.

I hope this helps!

That sounds like a good amount if research experience for some programs, though at many research-focused programs, certain mentors look for people who have good undergrad research experience + full-time research experience after undergrad. It's hard to know how each program handles GREs, but I'd encourage you to study hard to try to get a higher score. Many programs have cutoffs, official or unofficial, that will prevent your application from getting looked at unless a professor decides to hit the "low numbers" pile for a "diamond in the rough". I think maybe an OUTSTANDING research record, like publications, might make up for a low GRE, but you'll need connections to bring that to the POI's attention. I really recommend studying hard and trying to get that score up. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning to apply to mid-tier programs in hopes they'll end up looking at mine. I am definitely going to be studying hardcore for the GRE this time around. I had already started studying, but I haven't lately because I'm taking overtime hours this current summer semester. This worries me, but I feel I've matured a lot this past year in my study habits (my grades reflect that at least) so I'm really hoping I can at least raise my score by 100, though of course I wouldn't mind higher.

As for having a normal amount of research experience compared to other SDN users I've always perceived the SDN users to be most likely in the top for applicants. I think just the fact that many of the posters worried enough about this whole process that they sought a resource such as this out already shows more initiative, but that's just my speculation. Anyone else think the same thing?

I'm planning to apply to mid-tier programs in hopes they'll end up looking at mine. I am definitely going to be studying hardcore for the GRE this time around. I had already started studying, but I haven't lately because I'm taking overtime hours this current summer semester. This worries me, but I feel I've matured a lot this past year in my study habits (my grades reflect that at least) so I'm really hoping I can at least raise my score by 100, though of course I wouldn't mind higher.

As for having a normal amount of research experience compared to other SDN users I've always perceived the SDN users to be most likely in the top for applicants. I think just the fact that many of the posters worried enough about this whole process that they sought a resource such as this out already shows more initiative, but that's just my speculation. Anyone else think the same thing?

Just to clarify, I wasn't comparing you to other SDN posters--you asked about your research experience compared to the average applicant, and that's what my answer is referring to.

Oh, okay. I must have read it wrong. That's what I get for watching TV at the same time. :p

I came to this notion last week, people on here are near the top of the list and are top dogs in terms of resumes and applications

your research experience is good and will keep you in the running, but will not necessarily make up for other aspects of your application. I applied to clinical science (e.g. very selective) programs with two years of post-bacc experience, plus some from undergrad, and did not stand out. I'm not sure how your experience compares if you are considering mid-tier programs, but I would really work on the GRE. Your GPA is also okay, but not amazing, so you don't want to give people a reason to doubt your ability to do well in grad school. Better to put in some extra effort and definitely get in than spend all the time, energy, and money applying to get rejected. Good luck!

Your research experience sounds ample, it really does. If you raise your GRE score, my sense is that you'll be in great shape. Just get the books and study. You have all summer. Spend an hour or two hours a day doing the practice problems-- they really do work-- then, after that, I can't see what more a program could really ask for other than fit.

Your research experience sounds ample, it really does. If you raise your GRE score, my sense is that you'll be in great shape. Just get the books and study. You have all summer. Spend an hour or two hours a day doing the practice problems-- they really do work-- then, after that, I can't see what more a program could really ask for other than fit.

I've got three GRE books... now just to read them, haha.

Thanks for all the input and encouragement everybody! :D I'm glad to know that I have at least as much as the average applicant (and perhaps even more).