Research and Medical Mission Trip the summer after MS-1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBossDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to do research AND have a global health experience during medical school. I know that most people do one of these the summer after MS-1 year, but is it possible to do both of them during the summer?

To clarify, the research I want to do would be in the U.S. (California) so that I could start building connections in California and improve my chances of going back there for residency.

So with that said, is it possible to do both research in the U.S. (for like 6-8 weeks) AND go on a 2-3 week global health trip during that summer? If not, when are other good times in medical school for a global health experience?

Members don't see this ad.

What's stopping you from doing research during the academic year and going on the trip?

Depending on the research, you're not going to be able to complete more than a case study in 6 weeks. If you're starting your own first author project, that is. If you already have a database, IRB, etc, then you can likely kick something out in 8 weeks, but you'll have to do a crap ton of work on it.

Obviously this depends on the type of research you're doing.

What's stopping you from doing research during the academic year and going on the trip?

Depending on the research, you're not going to be able to complete more than a case study in 6 weeks. If you're starting your own first author project, that is. If you already have a database, IRB, etc, then you can likely kick something out in 8 weeks, but you'll have to do a crap ton of work on it.

Obviously this depends on the type of research you're doing.

Well people have just been telling me that I won't have time during the academic year. Additionally, I'm going to school in the East Coast, but because I hope to go back to California for residency, I'm hoping to do summer research there (which would only be possible in the summer since its far away from my medical school).

If I do come to California for research in the summer, I would consider going back to my current lab here in CA, so it would be easier to get something done in 6-8 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know plenty of people that are doing research projects during the academic year. They work when they have 'down time'. It's hard, but not impossible.

I'm not a med student and I definitely can't speak for residency, but wonder if you'd be better off doing research in a place where you can continually do research during the academic year. I feel like you'd get more out of it...no?

I'm not a med student and I definitely can't speak for residency, but wonder if you'd be better off doing research in a place where you can continually do research during the academic year. I feel like you'd get more out of it...no?

Yea I have been wondering about this part tbh. My temporary plan for that is to start research in California during the summer after MS-1, and then when I get back, find a project in the same field with a similar topic at my home medical school. There could be other factors I'm overlooking though, which is why I'm trying to find out more.

As far as the residency part, people have been telling me that building connections is important if you want a residency in a different part of the country, so that's why I seem insistent on doing some sort of research in California.

Consider also doing a global health experience during Winter or Spring break if your school offers them, then focus on research over the summer.

I think it would be doable. I don't see why a global experience couldn't be 2-3 weeks and research 8-10 weeks (depending on how long you get off).

I work in an academic hospital. What seems to be important for residency, other than away rotations, is your publications. If you have good publications in the field, you are in good shape. Going to the state where you want to do residency in order to do research seems superfluous. It's not like research is bounded by state. People that present at conferences and collaborate are all over the country and world. What matters is the impact of your publication, if your PI has a good relationship with PI's in the field at other institutions, then that's another way this all comes together.

I suggest doing research this summer and saving your medical mission trip until your fourth year. Besides the tight timeframe, as an MS1, you really aren't able to contribute much anyway compared to what you'll be able to do as an MS4 because you won't have had any clinical training yet. Your school may even offer MS4 electives abroad that are subsidized. Ask some of the upperclassmen and/or check out the elective catalog.

Reactions: 1 user