Research and obtaining a competitive residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnydays

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did research for 2 yrs as a lab tech b4 medical school in pharmacology/neuroscience. During that time, I published 2 papers (JBC and JACS) with 3 more currently being written. I know research is encouraged for competitive residencies so my questions are:
Do I need to do additional research during my med school years considering this past history?
Also, I don't plan on during neuroscience in the future so do i need to do research in a field that I plan to do residency in?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say research during medical school would still be helpful but you don't necessarily need more than 1 paper. It is more helpful if it is in the field you are interested in than some other field but not necessary to do in that field.

By getting 1 paper published during school you demonstrate that research is a continuing interest for you, and that you can do it in a demanding environment. AOA with research is pretty damn impressive.

C

It really depends on which specialty you are going for and what type of program you would like to get into (academic vs university but more clinically based vs community). Remember that research experience in medical school is not just to prove that you can do research, but also to prove that you are interested in doing or like to do research. The top/most prestigious residency programs in most specialties are interested in training people who want to go into academics (ie have shown an interest in research and teaching during their careers). Research in any field is helpful for most programs, but some are looking for research in their specialty.

Especially for someone like yourself with a strong research background, your best bet for being a good physician and getting a good residency is to focus on school. Honor your clinical rotations, kick butt on Step I, get good LORs and learn to be a good doctor and you'll get everything you're looking for.

If you have extra time, then do research. Research is really tertiary on a strong application. It won't save a weak application, and it won't make you a good clinician.

With regards to research, how valuable are published articles or poster presentations where I am not the lead author? For example, I have been listed as the 3rd or 4th author on a few papers, even on some where I did a lot of the work (but was low on the lab totem pole). Is this worth much with regards to residency application?

In a similar scenario, what about research that wound up not getting published (rejected from journals after submission, or simply not being completed b/c of inadequate funding)?

MS-2
Midwestern University-CCOM

I think that everyone understands that who is first author or second is frequently a more political consideration than related to the actual amount of work involved so don't worry about it. Just tell them what your role in the research was.

Casey

Originally posted by sunnydays
I did research for 2 yrs as a lab tech b4 medical school in pharmacology/neuroscience. During that time, I published 2 papers (JBC and JACS) with 3 more currently being written.

If you have 2 first-author papers in those journals in 2 years as a lab tech, that's pretty huge. I'd say you are good to go and don't need any more research, although as you said, if you choose a radically different specialty like derm, ENT or ophtho, you'll probably want to do a little research stint in that area. You would probably be fine for neuro, neurosurg or IM.

Originally posted by Fermi
If you have 2 first-author papers in those journals in 2 years as a lab tech, that's pretty huge. I'd say you are good to go and don't need any more research, although as you said, if you choose a radically different specialty like derm, ENT or ophtho, you'll probably want to do a little research stint in that area. You would probably be fine for neuro, neurosurg or IM.

That sounds about right. With your research background, I'd recommend more research only if it truly interests you. I would probably not recommend wasting your summer between ms1/ms2, though...maybe a project in 3rd or 4th year once you've decided on a specialty.

focus on your grades and step 1.

So does the research only count if you get published?

Originally posted by sunnydays
So does the research only count if you get published?

I'd say yes, except for the specialty research you might do for just 1-3 months, which is hardly enough time to get a first-author paper. I ended up doing a lot of research in med school because I had done a lot beforehand with no publications whatsoever. Two short summers + three years in industry is a lot of experience, but I felt I had to get my name on something.