Research and Publication for Harvard Medical School, JHU, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barsoum.michael

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I plan to start doing research in college and to publish at least one publication before I start applying to medical school. How important is that for top schools such as Harvard Medical School and John Hopkins and all those top tier schools? I see that many people are very hard workers in undergrad and so much and still dont get in. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your obsession with Harvard?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whether you are going towards MD or MD/PhD, a publication is very helpful. A lot of schools factor research into how they rate a candidate. That said, there are different tiers of "doing research". Writing that you did research and being about to fluently talk about it is one thing (usually means you understood it, but you didn't or couldn't do enough to publish). Having an authorship (not first author) is another, usually indicative that you did a substantial amount of work to be put on the authorship. Having a first author publication is obviously the best, indicating that you did the majority of the work on a paper.

I would guess that schools factor these categories separately, but I could be wrong. For MD/PhD, publications are an unspoken necessity, because most directors want to see a dedication to research, and that is usually shown off in the time and effort it takes to obtain and authorship (whether first, second, third, etc...)

It beats not having any. It only can help your application

@lazygun247 so having any authorship is a good thing?
No, it is a terrible thing. Why would med schools want people who can do science?

I'm kidding. Authorship is seen very positively in a pre-med regardless of the position. Of course, higher in the authorship ladder always looks better or being published in a big journal.

Are there any current students or accepted students to top-tier schools that can better answer this question?