research and teaching without phd/psyd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twice as Nice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had my heart set on a phd in clinical psych because I really want to be able to teach, do research, and be a clinician. However, it is looking more and more like I might not be getting in, so I am trying to figure out a backup plan.

Are there any Masters degrees that would allow for similar career paths? Obviously with an MSW or MA in Counseling or Clinical Psych, or MFT, you can treat patients. What about research? And teaching?

Also, are there jobs out there that will pay for you to go back to school part time to get a masters degree? Part of the appeal of a PhD was that they waive tuition...

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, there. Well, there are some options that might allow you to teach at the instructor level (non-tenure track, but paid by the course) with a master's degree, but if you are really interested in the path you described, then you want to aim for at least an adjunct faculty appointment at a university along with grand-funded research. That only comes with a doctorate and most often that doctorate degree will be a clinical PhD. However, your idea of doing a master's is not a bad one. If you choose wisely and apply for a master's that will prepare you to then reapply to a PhD program )by producing a solid graduate GPA and getting research experience), then you will get there. However, I am not going to kid you. There is no good way to get around this.