Research as an option since I didn't match...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timeout66

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 2008 US Grad, who is completing a PGY-1 Medicine preliminary year. This year I applied for psychiatry (PGY1) and for some reason, I didn't match.

I am considering my options and one of them is to take a year off. During this year, I plan to take Step III early and would like to get involved in some sort of clinical research so as to stay close to the medical field. And of course, I would be submitting ERAS in the fall once again.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to go about getting involved in this type of research. I am not necessarily looking for a paid position either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 2008 US Grad, who is completing a PGY-1 Medicine preliminary year. This year I applied for psychiatry (PGY1) and for some reason, I didn't match.

I am considering my options and one of them is to take a year off. During this year, I plan to take Step III early and would like to get involved in some sort of clinical research so as to stay close to the medical field. And of course, I would be submitting ERAS in the fall once again.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to go about getting involved in this type of research. I am not necessarily looking for a paid position either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I was sorta wondering the same thing....when people don't match the instinctive response from others is always "oh, just do a year of research".....but I don't see any openings for research out there that are easily had, especially if one is a recent grad and has no real research background.

Plus, I cant work for basically nothing next year and pay rent, make some loan payments, etc.......and research positions that actually pay enough to do that arent there. Or at least I dont see them.

Just curious....why didnt you match iyo? Thats like the fourth or fifth american grad this cycle(just on sdn) that hasn't matched into a pgy-1 position......which is sort of troubling.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd contact a researcher in the psych department. Pay might not be that great but it may be enough. Not having any experience is all the more reason to get into it. It's 2009 and we still don't know the precise etiology of autism.

I'd contact a researcher in the psych department. Pay might not be that great but it may be enough. Not having any experience is all the more reason to get into it. It's 2009 and we still don't know the precise etiology of autism.

But if someone gets on it now, by 2010 we will! :)

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't know anything about research but why don't you look for a PGY2 position? Call some programs and inquire. Could be a spot open sometime prior to July. I don't understand why so many people try for PGY1 in psych when they have completed an intern year.

Sorry, I don't know anything about research but why don't you look for a PGY2 position? Call some programs and inquire. Could be a spot open sometime prior to July. I don't understand why so many people try for PGY1 in psych when they have completed an intern year.

because it's not a sure thing to get a pgy-2....the best move is to shoot for pgy-2's and pgy1's in the op's case.