Research as an undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthesiaMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this mean only biology and chemistry? would it look good if I got into a psychology research lab? opinions please...

Members don't see this ad.

I could be way off, but I think your research needs to be either bench research or clinical research that is hypothesis-based. You could argue that the psychology setting is clinical, but I don't know if you would win that battle. Talk to your pre-med advisor.

I could be way off, but I think your research needs to be either bench research or clinical research that is hypothesis-based. You could argue that the psychology setting is clinical, but I don't know if you would win that battle. Talk to your pre-med advisor.

Depends on the your goals.

If you want to enter a top 10 research institution or a MD/PhD program, yes, bench research or clinical research may be best.

If you want to broaden your application, than sure, joining a psychology research lab team is great. Schools don't require research, so why would they require a certain type of research?

To the OP, if you like the research the lab team is doing, than join up. You never know, you might be able to co-author a paper or make a poster for a conference, two great things to add to your application. But psychology research is fine. I did some and was asked about it at one of my interviews. Also, if you join a research team as a froshie or sophomore, by the time you're a junior or senior, you may be designing some of the lab studies. This is great, as the scientific method is the same across disciplines--from psychology to biology to linguistics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the your goals.

If you want to enter a top 10 research institution or a MD/PhD program, yes, bench research or clinical research may be best.

If you want to broaden your application, than sure, joining a psychology research lab team is great. Schools don't require research, so why would they require a certain type of research?

To the OP, if you like the research the lab team is doing, than join up. You never know, you might be able to co-author a paper or make a poster for a conference, two great things to add to your application. But psychology research is fine. I did some and was asked about it at one of my interviews.

This may be a dumb question, but how do I get into things like clinical research? Is this type of work done at a hospital usually? Also, how much research experience should I have if I want to get into an MD/PhD program? I just feel like I am not going to be able to get into this type of work without a PhD or some advanced degree. where do they actually let undergrads participate in clinical research?

This may be a dumb question, but how do I get into things like clinical research? Is this type of work done at a hospital usually? Also, how much research experience should I have if I want to get into an MD/PhD program? I just feel like I am not going to be able to get into this type of work without a PhD or some advanced degree. where do they actually let undergrads participate in clinical research?

I can't fully answer this question, sorry. I was an English and psychology major and didn't do any research outside psychology as an undergrad. I would naturally think that if you want to go into a MD/PhD program, you should some kind of bench research in biology or chemistry.

As far as "clinical" I'm not sure what the previous poster means with respect to undgraduate level opportunities. I assume they mean opportunities that would be available to undergraduates at a university also housing a medical school. I would argue, however, the psychology research with patients, such as PTSD research, would be clinical research. I medical schools would agree, I believe.

This is terrible advice. Of course psychology research is hypothesis-based - what scientific research isn't? I am absolutely sure you could get into a "top 10 research program" with psychology research as long as you were good at it an made your mark. Don't do research just because it will get you into medical school - it will show in your apps and interview!

And there are definitely clinically relevant components to psychology research. For a very easy example, you could work with psychiatric populations like Alzheimer's patients.

hey OP, does your undergrad school have an affiliated medical college? If so, the researchers/doctors at the medical institution are generally accepting of undergrads. That's how I got my biomedical research position.

That's assuming, of course, that you want to do biomedical research. Any scientific research would strengthen your MD/PhD application.