Research as BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phonyreal98

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to be doing research for credit next semester. In my lab, we use fMRI analysis to study some of the biological mechanisms underlying different psychopathologies. While the content of the research sounds like it could go under biology (under neuroscience), credit will be awarded by the psychology department. I know that the AMCAS guide says to classify courses based on content, not department heading, but the course number/title for this will be just "PSYC 3xx-Independent Research"...so I'm wondering if this could count for BCPM...possibly....maybe....(but I'm guessing probably not)

Members don't see this ad.

the adcom at the med school linked to my undergrad told me that they exclude the research units from your GPA when looking at applicants. The adcom told me that they initially look at the c/sGPA and then when they review applicants individually they start to look at your transcript closely. At that point they start to exclude your research units to look at your GPA truthfully. hope that helps. best of luck

Does it matter? When you fill out AMCAS, YOU will be entering and classifying the all of the courses you have taken or will take. You will do this according to the AMCAS specifications / directions. If there is a huge mistake on your part, someone from AMCAS will adjust it when they are verifying your application. Don't sweat the little things.

-senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer

With regards to Drexon's post, that may be true at that med school, but I can promise you that many schools out there don't look this closely at how your GPA breaks down.

Members don't see this ad :)
forgot to add this :
undergrad students at my university may request anywhere between 0-5 units of research credit per quarter for as many quarter as they want. Thus there are some students have an very inflated GPA due to the research credits they might have accrued .. I have friends who have almost 1/4 of their overall units from their undergrad as research credit. That's a quite an inflation to their GPA but then again they're fairly good students without the GPA creds from research.
again best of luck , have fun with research !

List it as biology. I'd say it's more likely that it will stay that way.

you can always appeal if they move it out of BCPM. i think you'll just need to be able to show that the content was actually biology.