Research Assistant Job Interviews??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danzgymn86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm starting to get interviews...
I've never had a REAL interview in my life. Like, every job I have had, I basically had handed to me and the "interviews" were more of a formality.
So, I am freaking out now that I have to go to REAL interviews next week.
What kinds of things are asked?
What do I wear?!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm starting to get interviews...
I've never had a REAL interview in my life. Like, every job I have had, I basically had handed to me and the "interviews" were more of a formality.
So, I am freaking out now that I have to go to REAL interviews next week.
What kinds of things are asked?
What do I wear?!

You'll do fine. In my experience, they asked me what my skill sets were, and about my past experiences, why I wanted this job and what my future goals were. They told me the reason they hired me was because I ultimately wanted my ph.d. and showed genuine interest in their study. People who want to pursue higher education tend to work hard and want to do a good job so they can earn strong LORs.

Trust me, I also wasn't in the best place when I interviewed. I was flying up friday afternoon for my first RA interview ever. Turns out a huge ice storm was hitting the region, long story short, I spent the night in the airport and then my luggage was lost. I showed up the next morning dazed and confused, 2hrs sleep, in jeans and a t-shirt, and still landed the interview! You'll do fine :)

**I had planned on wearing a suit....brought it for nothing ;)

1. Wear a suit.
2. Bring a copy of your resume and cover letter to the interview.
3. Be polite, engaged in the interview questions, and confident.
4. Do not forget that you are interviewing them as well. Make sure you have prepared some questions ahead of time (e.g. What is a typical day like here? What type of study(ies) will I be working on? Are there opportunities to work on data analysis, grants, or manuscripts here? etc.)
5. Be open to a two year commitment (I personally think it takes this long to get in a good rhythm with a lab and really learn a lot and get strong letters).
6. Send a nice thank you e-mail to the people you interviewed with afterwards. If you do not get their e-mails while there, ask the person you are in contact with for the e-mails.

These tips are based on conducting interviews for research coordinators (most recently to replace me as I am headed to school!). Some of them are pretty basic, but if you have never been on a real interview before these are some good standards.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on the interviews! Put aside all external stress.
You know what you are doing and I have faith that you will do well.

Confidence without cockiness is important.

good luck!

1. Wear a suit.
2. Bring a copy of your resume and cover letter to the interview.
3. Be polite, engaged in the interview questions, and confident.
4. Do not forget that you are interviewing them as well. Make sure you have prepared some questions ahead of time (e.g. What is a typical day like here? What type of study(ies) will I be working on? Are there opportunities to work on data analysis, grants, or manuscripts here? etc.)
5. Be open to a two year commitment (I personally think it takes this long to get in a good rhythm with a lab and really learn a lot and get strong letters).
6. Send a nice thank you e-mail to the people you interviewed with afterwards. If you do not get their e-mails while there, ask the person you are in contact with for the e-mails.

These tips are based on conducting interviews for research coordinators (most recently to replace me as I am headed to school!). Some of them are pretty basic, but if you have never been on a real interview before these are some good standards.

These are some very good tips. Thanks :thumbup: