Research at a different med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted600623

So currently an MS1 and I’m trying to sort of get an idea of what kind of research I want to do between year 1 and 2. Is it possible to do research at a different med school than your home institution? Like say I wanted to be closer to family, could I reach out to a nearby med school and see if I could do research there? Not sure how common or plausible this is.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it’s possible and plenty do it. You may have a harder time finding an opportunity and funding though. Also keep in mind that your research will likely continue for longer than a summer and keeping up a project from afar can come with its own set of challenges and is often not ideal.

That’s a good point. But with the institution that I’m a part of, I would likely not be able to continue research unless it could be done at from afar because I'm at a satellite campus instead of the main campus in seattle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m doing it. However, some medical schools and departments can be very protective of their research opportunities and unwilling to let outsiders participate. Look for a good mentor who values helping students and you should be okay

Reactions: 1 user
It's possible, but no one will actual go out of your way to help you throughout the process. It's not as simple as emailing someone,having them say yes, then showing up. You'll probably have to fill out some additional paperwork too, as it likely will be considered an away student rotation at some institutions. It's something that you'll really have to badger someone to be apart of. PM if you want more information.

Reactions: 1 users