Research at home institution vs. away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed a little, but I have a question regarding research projects. I have an opportunity to work with a PI who is doing research I am very interested in and is in the field I hope to eventually practice in, but the lab and institution are 15 hours hours away from my home institution. The likelihood of a poster and presentation is pretty high, not sure about publications though.

I also have an opportunity to do research slightly related to my career interests at my home institution, however nothing that I am too passionate about, and I'm not sure what the likelihood is for a publication.

Which would be more helpful for residency? Something I'm more passionate about but would really only be able to participate in during the summer/breaks? Or something at my home institution that doesn't interest me too much but that I would be able to have quite a bit more "face-time" with?

Members don't see this ad.

This is for a summer project? Do the home institution one if you want the flexibility to continue the project into the school year afterward.

This is for a summer project? Do the home institution one if you want the flexibility to continue the project into the school year afterward.
Yeah it would mainly be a summer project. I'd be meeting the PI and getting it set up in the next couple of months but the majority of the work would have to take place over the summer it seems. Just wasn't sure how much weight I should give to the away institution option considering it is pretty much my career goal vs. the much more accessible home institution option.

Edit: Also, if it makes a difference, the PI at the away institution is a leading expert in the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with the away institution for several reasons:
- It's in the field you want, will speak volumes about your passion when you interview for residency
- He's a giant in the field, he can help you get much farther. As Newton said, "If I have seen farther than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
- If it's a summer project, you can really travel to the away institution and give it all your time! The only reason I would say stick to home project was if you were gonna do it with your classes at school
- Doing project at an away institution will also give you more exposure and experience. You might be able to build more connections that will be useful for residency applications.

Go with the away institution for several reasons:
- It's in the field you want, will speak volumes about your passion when you interview for residency
- He's a giant in the field, he can help you get much farther. As Newton said, "If I have seen farther than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
- If it's a summer project, you can really travel to the away institution and give it all your time! The only reason I would say stick to home project was if you were gonna do it with your classes at school
- Doing project at an away institution will also give you more exposure and experience. You might be able to build more connections that will be useful for residency applications.

If you didn't believe me in one sentence, you should absolutely believe him in 4. He's got it.