Research at NIH- adcom's view

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1mcataway

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My pre-med friend is doing research at NIH for 6 months (not sure but i think he made two posters- no publication).
He says it will slightly make up for the okay mcat that he has (around 28). I was wondering how good the adcoms will see this experience (he has a lot of research but said that he was only going to do MD).

Members don't see this ad.

My pre-med friend is doing research at NIH for 6 months (not sure but i think he made two posters- no publication).
He says it will slightly make up for the okay mcat that he has (around 28). I was wondering how good the adcoms will see this experience (he has a lot of research but said that he was only going to do MD).

depends on the individual schools, and posters are easy. pubs are much harder. However, MCAT trumps research any day (by how much...depends on the schools, again).

I know someone with a 29 MCAT and 2 years of research at NIH who got into a couple of good schools.

But generally, MCAT trumps research at most schools.