1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Research at Osteopathic Schools (especially at UHS and WesternU/COMP)

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Qafas, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Qafas

Qafas Jarhead
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm curious to know what kinds of research MSI and MSIIs are involved in at various Osteopathic schools. From what I am gathering, research during these two years can strengthen one's chances of landing certain residencies; but, I am also aware that Osteopathic schools are generally not nearly as involved in research as many Allopathic schools are.
    I will most likely be attending either UHS or WesternU/COMP this fall. As such, these are the two schools I am most interested in; but, I am still curious to know what kinds of research experience students have had and/or are having at other schools.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. melancholy

melancholy 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi there,
    I'm currently an MS-I at COMP and although I'm sure others could provide more detail as to various research experiences, I know that as this summer between our first and second year comes up, the school seems to have a number of opportunities set up to do research at labs in a number of schools including UCLA and UCSF as well as research with the various professors on campus at Western. From what I briefly remember, the majority of the research on campus covered areas such as OMM, pharmacology (a lot of it since we also have a school of pharmacy here), anatomy, and physiology.. I am probably missing a few areas here so hopefully someone can fill you in on the rest of them. There are other opportunities to do research during the summer as COMP has a number of scholarships/stipends they can award to students who desire to take the time to do research. I have gotten the feeling that research hasn't always been the top priority of the school, but based on hearing various professors and students speaking, I feel like there are definitely people pushing and working towards increasing the amount of research associated with the school.

Hope this helps.

4. DO/MBA

DO/MBA Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm from UHS, and I'm doing a couple of projects. A quality of life study and a cost analysis study of private practice docs. A lot of my class mates are involved in research. If you want to do research the department here will get you involved fast and early. The constuction that is going on at UHS is a new research facility. It is going to be nice.

5. Texas_Sam

Texas_Sam Member
    10+ Year Member

Research opportunities at NYCOM are very limited. I chose to teach anatomy in a preliminary med school summer program given to borderline students at NYCOM. It was very rewarding. Whether it will help me look good on paper. . . no idea.

6. Kadyra

Kadyra Will drive for music.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DO/MBA:
    <strong>I'm from UHS, and I'm doing a couple of projects. A quality of life study and a cost analysis study of private practice docs. A lot of my class mates are involved in research. If you want to do research the department here will get you involved fast and early. The constuction that is going on at UHS is a new research facility. It is going to be nice.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">See, I wish you had been around when I interviewed. When I asked questions about research in my interview, one of the interviwers rudely snapped at me and said, "this is not an MD/PhD program." I really felt like saying, "I know it's a DO school you ******* but that doesn't mean I don't want to do research." Of course, I didn't say that. That gave me a very negative impression of the school overall, and heavily influenced the fact I chose to decline my acceptance. It game me the distinct impression that research was frowned up on or very hard to do, at the very least. I'm glad to know it's not like that for other people's sakes.