Research at other institution than your med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knicksfan3131

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm an incoming M1. I have been doing clinical research through college and through this summer at an institution in the same city where I'll be matriculating. I enjoy the people, environment, and the work a lot and it is productive research (pub submitted and conference presentations, etc.) Right now, I'm of course undecided on specialty but the field I'm in is interesting to me and I would strongly consider pursuing it for residency. I was wondering what thoughts were about continuing doing research here while a med student at the other institution - would it be wiser to try to make more contacts where I'll be matriculating or should I not mess with a good thing? Anybody go through a similar experience as a med student? Thanks for your help.

Best-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Haven't gone through the exact same experience myself, but I see nothing wrong with continuing the research you're doing there. It sounds like the group is pretty productive and if you find the work engaging and see the faculty members you're working with as good mentor figures, you have nothing to lose. Additionally, feel free to maintain this research and also reach out to your home department once you're settled into the pace of med school. I know several people who work on different projects with different groups at the same time.

I did research at another institution before M1, throughout M1, and over this summer leading into M2. It's definitely a good idea to keep contacts and pubs rolling in. Do not neglect making contacts with residents/attendings at your school though. Make a balance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I'm an incoming M1 at a top 25 med school. I have been doing clinical research through college and through this summer at a top 10 institution in the same city where I'll be matriculating. I enjoy the people, environment, and the work a lot and it is productive research (pub submitted and conference presentations, etc.) Right now, I'm of course undecided on specialty but the field I'm in is interesting to me and I would strongly consider pursuing it for residency. I was wondering what thoughts were about continuing doing research here while a med student at the other institution - would it be wiser to try to make more contacts where I'll be matriculating or should I not mess with a good thing? Anybody go through a similar experience as a med student? Thanks for your help.

Best-

There is only one city in the US that have a top 25 and top 10 in the same setting. I'll let you guys guess where that one is.

Info is too specific if you want to be vague.

Reactions: 2 users
No, I don't see anything wrong with it. You can get involved with your home institution in another way. For extremely competitive specialities, your best chance at matching will be at your home institution, so being well known at home and at an away place isn't a bad thing at all!

There is only one city in the US that have a top 25 and top 10 in the same setting. I'll let you guys guess where that one is.

Info is too specific if you want to be vague.
Guess the real question is which basketball team will OP go for?