1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Research Bad????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by washkeep, Apr 29, 2004.

?

Into Research?

1. I'm a lab rat- i love it

27 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. I'd rather be eaten by a lab rat

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. Only if it's with people- clinical

26 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. washkeep

washkeep ProudFieldFairy
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm a premed at Wash U, which is a big-time research institute. you get fed the propaganda about the holiness of research bigtime. anyway, wash u kids have a hard time getting into SLU (saint louis university) med school.

apparently, SLU's more primary care oriented and they think wash u kids are too research minded and would be a bad fit. So just thought I'd mention this for those of you applying... Check out the schools you apply to, so you know what to emphasize/deemphasize during the interview. not as if you guys probably didn't know already. well, i thought this was bizarre and worth mentioning. :oops:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. willthatsall

willthatsall Unretired
    7+ Year Member

Or perhaps SLU thinks the Wash U kids will end up withdrawing so they just don't offer them spots? Haven't schools been known to do that?

4. 911Med

911Med Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Info: Looking out for my fellow SDNr's (ah, my new addiction) - I am leaving the world of clinical research and opting to venture off to medical school.

That being said - for those who graduate with a BS and have an interest in health care - clinical research for a pharma company is the way to go. Interesting therapeutic areas, fantastic pay, ability to travel should you wish.
    Plus, every doctor you come in contact with is interested in conducting pharma clinical trials (tons o' cash for each subject they enroll$$).

For the ones that don't get in, this is a great career. Alright - I'm done sounding like a infomercial, but if you guys have any questions - PM on over.

This is the industry's web site if interested: www.centerwatch.com

Pay it forward. :)

5. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yes..........

6. 10minutes

10minutes M.D.Candidate
    5+ Year Member

Why would they think Wash U kids will withdraw from SLU?