Research before residency Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

munchkin112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it look better if your research is paid vs. unpaid? I am a first year medical student next fall and do not know what I want to specialize in. Would it still look good if I do a very broad area of research? Also, because I am not technically in medical school yet, does it still count if I do research my summer before medical school? Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Does it look better if your research is paid vs. unpaid? I am a first year medical student next fall and do not know what I want to specialize in. Would it still look good if I do a very broad area of research? Also, because I am not technically in medical school yet, does it still count if I do research my summer before medical school? Thanks for all the help!
Take a look at the Research Forum FAQ (link in my signature). Paid vs unpaid - by virtue of being in medical school, you are smart enough that you deserve to be paid.

Though, given that you voluntarily signed up to work like a dog and took on $$$ of loans to do so, we could argue the opposite. /rant

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it easier to get things published with clinical research?

Is it easier to get things published with clinical research?
If by clinical research, you mean a case report, the lowest form of published clinical evidence, then it is easy to get published. If you mean a multi-center RCT, then that takes years of effort, millions of dollars, and hundreds of people working together.

How does one look for clinical research? Do you find them in hospitals?

How does one look for clinical research? Do you find them in hospitals?

Find a faculty member who is already involved in research and try to get them to assign you a side-project (or you can come up with a hypothesis based on their prior work) that is related to his/her present primary research which could lead to you publishing as the primary author.
Just keep in mind that for med student, clinical research is often really boring because you'll probably be assigned a lot of mindless data entry and number crunching duties.