Research before starting med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mattinthehat250

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I went to a small school with no research for undergrad, and have absolutely no research experience. However, I am very interested in doing basic science research in med school both to determine if I would want to do research in my career and also to pad my resume for residency. I currently work full time and am thinking about e-mailing PIs at some local med schools asking if I could volunteer in their lab a few hours each week to get some experience. My reasoning is that it might be good to learn some techniques and get some exposure now so that when I start research in med school I won't look like a total *****. Is this advisable, or would it be better to just relax before starting school in the fall?

Members don't see this ad.

So I went to a small school with no research for undergrad, and have absolutely no research experience. However, I am very interested in doing basic science research in med school both to determine if I would want to do research in my career and also to pad my resume for residency. I currently work full time and am thinking about e-mailing PIs at some local med schools asking if I could volunteer in their lab a few hours each week to get some experience. My reasoning is that it might be good to learn some techniques and get some exposure now so that when I start research in med school I won't look like a total *****. Is this advisable, or would it be better to just relax before starting school in the fall?

Relax. What's the difference between looking like an idiot now vs later?

Volunteering just a few hours a week is nowhere near enough time to get your foot in the door. Keep in mind that the time and reagents used to train a new person is very expensive. I recommend that you develop an interest in a particular area of science and generate thoughtful questions before you contact any investigators. Labs are not in the business of hiring volunteers for fun. Show that you are ready to commit more time, effort, and intellect. Doing so will get you in somewhere with some effort. I've been working in a lab for a number of years and am heavily involved in the hiring process in my lab. If you have any particular questions i'd be more than happy to help.

Members don't see this ad :)

You're starting med school in July/August, and it's already mid February. It might be difficult to convince a basic sciences PI to take you on and spend the resources to train you if you are going to bounce in 6 months.

Also, think long and hard about doing basic science research in med school to pad your residency apps. It takes a loooong time to crank out publications in the basic sciences. You'd be better off piggybacking on clinical research labs if you want dem pubs.

No matter if you have done research before or have no experience at all, you are going to look bad when you start in a new lab. Don't worry too much about it. Plus, the techniques you could possibly learn now, there is no guarantee that you will use those techniques during medical school research. Personally, I wouldn't do research now "just to get a feel." Also, I agree with another poster, that no PI would want to spend time training somebody who is going to leave in less than 6 months.

I'm working in a lab this summer. I'm actually pretty excited about it.

It won't hurt to ask. In fact, I am doing precisely what you are considering. I got in touch completely out of the blue with a PI at the local university here and asked what opportunities might be available. As it turned out, he took me on about a month ago in his lab and I've been putting in about 15 hours a week or so. It's great to learn some new techniques and be involved in a project, and I might even wind up with my name on a publication (not a first author, of course) before matriculating at medical school (and I am currently accepted MD). That never hurts!