Research Brain Storm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockTown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have seemingly secured a research post working with a medical clinic in the inner city who is interested in getting an idea as to the impact of their services.

I have not done psych based research since undergrad, so I am needing a few ideas of where to get started. I am thinking possibly pretreatment scores on a battery of tests ( I have used Beck's Deppression Inventory before) and then a post follow up some months down the road.

thanks for the help!

RockTown

Members don't see this ad.

look up books on "Program Evaluation" and put more research into your measures...maybe figure out the treatment protocol that this clinic is offering first...

I had my meeting today with the medical clinic in search of some research to get an idea as to the effect they are having on the community and I must say, it was a little disturbing.
Granted, my clinical experience is zero, and I have a natural predisposition to look at things through the lens of my training, (Neuro) however, the clinical directors with whom I spoke informed me that they are in desparate need of a psychiatrist to monitor meds for bipolar and depression patients.

All of this to say....what therapy is available to help those suffering from these two disorders? Again coming from a neuro guy by training, I can't help but think that this type of patient will always need a psychiatrist for meds. What role does a PhD clinician play in the grand scheme of things when a psychiatrist prescribes meds and, technically, a licensed social worker could provide therapy support?

Forgive the ignorance here....and by no means is this a flame towards the PhD population, I am just trying to get my head wrapped around some of the issues that the clinic presented me with today. Perhaps this is an argument in favor of Rx priv.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take this how you want, but perhaps this post isn't for you? I don't know the whole story, but from the sound of it, I don't think I'd feel comfortable with such a big responsibility if I had to turn to message boards this much for guidance.

My 2 cents.

Deslok said:
Take this how you want, but perhaps this post isn't for you? I don't know the whole story, but from the sound of it, I don't think I'd feel comfortable with such a big responsibility if I had to turn to message boards this much for guidance.

My 2 cents.

I am really just looking to get some conversation started on the topic. I am by no means in charge of this huge undertaking. ( I see your concern!) I simply offered to volunteer to help out wherever they need me. (stat analysis, data collection etc.)

As I listened to those at the clinic, they proposed several issues that simply made me think about the field, and wanted to get some feedback from some of the professionals on the this board.

RockTown said:
I am really just looking to get some conversation started on the topic. I am by no means in charge of this huge undertaking. ( I see your concern!) I simply offered to volunteer to help out wherever they need me. (stat analysis, data collection etc.)

As I listened to those at the clinic, they proposed several issues that simply made me think about the field, and wanted to get some feedback from some of the professionals on the this board.
Ah, okay. I wasn't sure what exactly a "research post" entailed. I'm not a professional, but I'd give you some advice if I had much to give :oops: Good luck.

What role does a PhD clinician play in the grand scheme of things when a psychiatrist prescribes meds and, technically, a licensed social worker could provide therapy support?

Provision of good therapy and medical tx is dependent on thorough psychological and psychiatric assessment. This is where we come in. We can also provide therapy although as you noted, social workers have taken over in many cases.

What role does a PhD clinician play in the grand scheme of things when a psychiatrist prescribes meds and, technically, a licensed social worker could provide therapy support?

A PhD clinician would be able to provide more than just therapy support or supportive therapy for a bipolar or depressed patient. In most cases they will have better understanding of the underlying dynamics of the patient than a licensed social worker (and often the psychiatrist as they get more face time with the patient) and they can help engage the patient in psychological and structural change. Social workers play an important role but it is often more one of connecting patients to resources in the community and offering support. A PhD uses their theoretical knowledge and clinical skills to actually facilitate psychotherapuetic and psychoneurobiological change. Coupled with a working knowledge of psychopharmacology and the neurobiology involved with depression and bipolar, a PhD clinican can further work collaboratively with the psychiatrist at a higher level to ensure integrated and consistent treatment planning.

They could also work with the research team of your clinic to create an appropriate battery of pre and post-assessments as most PhD's have extensive training in this area as well.

Good luck with it all.

:thumbup:
RockTown said:
I had my meeting today with the medical clinic in search of some research to get an idea as to the effect they are having on the community and I must say, it was a little disturbing.
Granted, my clinical experience is zero, and I have a natural predisposition to look at things through the lens of my training, (Neuro) however, the clinical directors with whom I spoke informed me that they are in desparate need of a psychiatrist to monitor meds for bipolar and depression patients.

All of this to say....what therapy is available to help those suffering from these two disorders? Again coming from a neuro guy by training, I can't help but think that this type of patient will always need a psychiatrist for meds. What role does a PhD clinician play in the grand scheme of things when a psychiatrist prescribes meds and, technically, a licensed social worker could provide therapy support?

Forgive the ignorance here....and by no means is this a flame towards the PhD population, I am just trying to get my head wrapped around some of the issues that the clinic presented me with today. Perhaps this is an argument in favor of Rx priv.

This is an interesting but an old discovery :thumbup: