Research, but not Scientific research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cugatron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman and this summer I was invited to participate in a summer research/internship opportunity that is in regards to immigration rights. I am highly interested in this topic. While in high school I conducted undergraduate scientific research at Princeton and my current University and did poster presentations and won awards and all that stuff. Would doing this summer opportunity not look as good as doing a science research opportunity? I plan on conducting scientific research later on.

Members don't see this ad.

If you think you'll enjoy it, go for it. At worst, it'll make you appear more diverse. You have plenty of time to pick up scientfiic research later in undergrad (if that interests you). Interviewers will look for passion and drive when they ask you about research, so it's important that your activities matter to you.

Sounds fun. People want to talk to someone who did something they care about. No one wants to talk to someone who sat in a biology lab who washed glassware and grew bacteria.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think you'll enjoy it, go for it. At worst, it'll make you appear more diverse. You have plenty of time to pick up scientfiic research later in undergrad (if that interests you). Interviewers will look for passion and drive when they ask you about research, so it's important that your activities matter to you.

What do you mean by "At worst, it'll make you appear more diverse." is being diverse a bad thing?

Sounds fun. People want to talk to someone who did something they care about. No one wants to talk to someone who sat in a biology lab who washed glassware and grew bacteria.

What about Alexander Fleming ??