Research Course Classification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lampy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I have a few questions about course classification, specifically what the course classification appeals process like.

I have taken ~12 credits of research in a genetics lab, but the course code is in anthropology which I know doesn’t count. This code also has an extremely vague description and no syllabus; is there a way in appealing it to tell them that these credits are all 100% genetics based (just the lab uses sociocultural factors when finding significant differences too, hence why it’s an anthro lab).

My PI is writing me a letter of rec and I’m writing a thesis on it if either of these could be used as proof? I’ll also definitely be writing about this in my work/activities section and maybe my PS.

Also how long do course disputes take because I’m sure I will end up disputing a few.?

Also also does disputing too many make them less likely to approve the disputes (I assume the more you dispute the longer it’ll take but I don’t know how that might affect the decision)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I’m not sure how else to figure this out short of just submitting a primary to a random school I’m not applying too next cycle which would be costly and dumb.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted requests to have three of my courses changed. They were all in the psych department and I thought they qualified as neuro/bio, so I included an excerpt from my university’s registrar that gave an explanation for what the classes were (the class descriptions made it clear that there was more bio than psych in the class). AMCAS approved all three courses as BCPM within a week of me filing the dispute! Hope this helped!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted requests to have three of my courses changed. They were all in the psych department and I thought they qualified as neuro/bio, so I included an excerpt from my university’s registrar that gave an explanation for what the classes were (the class descriptions made it clear that there was more bio than psych in the class). AMCAS approved all three courses as BCPM within a week of me filing the dispute! Hope this helped!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Thank you!! So did you just ask the registrar for the explanation or was it posted online?

Thank you very much for the time frame!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! So did you just ask the registrar for the explanation or was it posted online?

Thank you very much for the time frame!!
No prob! I was able to find the "official" course descriptions online, but I'm sure talking to the Registrar would definitely get you to the correct place to find them! AMCAS didn't question anything I wrote when I was disputing the classes, so I think as long as the description comes from a website/syllabus/etc, you'll be fine!

so I think as long as the description comes from a website/syllabus/etc, you'll be fine!

Do you have an idea with what I can do if there is no website/syllabus and the course description is only in the schedule of courses as “supervised research in anthropology”?
I don’t know if I can include any specification from my PI or whoever, but I’m hopeful that they accepted your course reclassification!