Research Courses -- too many and their impact on BCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avariceponderer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might have the great opportunity of doing two research courses this year as i am trying to improve my GPA post undegrad.

Does taking too many of these look bad on a transcript? This would be quite a few

Both would be science related courses, and would be under two different courses at my university.

The first would be HMB (Human biology)

The second would be NEW (New College). New College is the administrative centre whereby these courses are offered.

I have a feeling AMCAS won't count the second course as a science since it doesn't have BCPM in the title. Can I protest this?

Members don't see this ad.

I might have the great opportunity of doing two research courses this year as i am trying to improve my GPA post undegrad.

Does taking too many of these look bad on a transcript? This would be quite a few

Both would be science related courses, and would be under two different courses at my university.

The first would be HMB (Human biology)

The second would be NEW (New College). New College is the administrative centre whereby these courses are offered.

I have a feeling AMCAS won't count the second course as a science since it doesn't have BCPM in the title. Can I protest this?

I never understood the point of research for credit except it forces you to be organized and graded subjectively. Yes, this research for credit is BCPM, if the area of research is BCPM.

I had research credit for several semesters (at least four) in undergrad, and could have had even more if I had wanted it (in hindsight I should have taken that opportunity). So far it doesn't seem to be hurting me in MSTP admissions. Got three interviews already, including one from a top 20 and one from a top 10.

As for AMCAS designations, you can designate courses as whatever you want without any risk. At worst AMCAS will change it to what they think it should be. If you still disagree with them, you can submit proof (ie a syllabus or course description off the school's website) as part of a petition. However, AMCAS is, in my experience, pretty lenient when it comes to course designations. As long as the title suggests some kind of BCPM component, you can classify it as such. They just don't want to see you classifying Ancient Chinese History as BCPM, or organic chemistry as BESS.

I wouldn't worry about it. I used research for BCPM credit every semester of college except for one. Research is research, they can't hold it against you for getting credit for it (some schools don't allow you to get paid for it).