Research Credit and BCPM GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoctor1231

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I have 8 credits worth of research credit and was wondering if AMCAS allows it to count as a science class for your BCPM GPA? My research is under the Neuroscience department. I know you can classify it as science but do they end up changing it when they verify you?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it graded credit or Pass/Fail? What is the course name and code (eg Bio 400 - Independent Research)? If it is graded and coded under Bio or Neuro, yes it goes into BCPM!

It's a 4000 level course but the course code puts it under our college of medicine. Yes it's graded on a normal scale!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply efle! Anyone else have some similar experience getting verified with research credit under their COM?

I had 4 credits of "directed study" and AMCAS left it as a biology course.

I know Neuroscience courses in the Psych Dept get counted as BCPM so I'm sure Neuroscience research would be counted in your BCPM gpa.

I had research credit in the Neuroscience department at my school and AMCAS kept it as BCPM. If they change it during verification (unlikely) you can call and request them to change it back. It seems everyone above also answered your question, why did you bump this thread? Do you have a specific concern that hasn't been addressed?

Haha sorry just really wanna make sure that this certainly is the case as it makes a massive difference in my BCPM GPA and in the schools I will apply to

Yes, it's definitely fine. Did the same thing and it counted, it was classified as a physics course and AMCAS didn't change that