research / DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travel_lite

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What is the research side of D.O.?
I am really interested in doing research with a D.O. degree, however I have received discouraging criticism for this idea….

Members don't see this ad.

Terrific question! I do not have an answer but want to keep this thread alive!

Anyone?

Hey,
I also am interested in doing research as a D.O. I have been doing research for the past two years as an undergrad and I have learned that it seldom matters where you went to school or what degree you have. All the matters is the results. I have grown up in the shadows of such great research institutes as Vanderbilt and UAB and I can assure you if you are innovative and publish exciting results your research will be respected no matter what two letters are behind your name. In biomedical research today the only letters that count are NIH anyway. I say go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Osteopathic schools in general are not heavy into research. Although in recent years many school have begun to include it in the curriculum as well as encouraging work-studies with faculty. In the next couple of years you will see more research in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine because the NIH has granted money to start an institute in this field. I go PCOM, and I know that a large number of my classmates are doing research at school and at other hospitals. Hope this helps

Research as a D.O. med student is abundant in DMU-OMC... All you have to do is ask.... Like what I'm currently doing.... I'm looking into helping in the human performance lab, biomechanics lab, ob/gyn relative labs.... etc.... There's so many, I can't begin to start.

I found out more about research at DMU because I started asking the dean of research. I suggest you folks do the same. Research is not heavily emphasize but they are there for you to do.... Much Luck. :cool: