Research during away elective(Sub-I)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surglover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Beside my away elective(Sub-I), I got the approval from a highly reputed surgeon to do something called "Clinical Chart Review" research. More Confusing:confused:, I got another approval from a highly reputed surgeon too to do research work in lab, but he requires to arrange with him & the lab director when I reach there to discuss my goals & what I want to learn at the lab.

Both of them accepted to work during evenings after I finish the elective(sub-I) work time & even during weekends.

I am new in the research field & it would be the first experience for me.
The research field is not related to the away elective field.
Your advice, please !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most students struggle to find time to eat/sleep adequately when on a Sub-I rotation, much less pick up a new research project.

I understand the desire to maximize your time and exposure in the US, but I think you will risk stretching yourself far too thin if you attempt to do either of these projects. Your goal HAS to be to do as well as possible on your Sub-I rotation. Your hours will be long and unpredictable; you will not be able to reliably show up to research meetings or have any kind of regular dedicated "research" time. You might not get weekends off (I didn't).

Don't let it get in the way of excelling during the away rotation and obtaining a strong LOR (not an easy task). It's also hard to accomplish any significant amount of research during a brief 4-6 week away rotation, clinical chart review or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most students struggle to find time to eat/sleep adequately when on a Sub-I rotation, much less pick up a new research project.

I understand the desire to maximize your time and exposure in the US, but I think you will risk stretching yourself far too thin if you attempt to do either of these projects. Your goal HAS to be to do as well as possible on your Sub-I rotation. Your hours will be long and unpredictable; you will not be able to reliably show up to research meetings or have any kind of regular dedicated "research" time. You might not get weekends off (I didn't).

Thanks for reply. My elective period would be 8-9 weeks. Not getting weekends off:eek: !!

Don't let it get in the way of excelling during the away rotation and obtaining a strong LOR (not an easy task). It's also hard to accomplish any significant amount of research during a brief 4-6 week away rotation, clinical chart review or not.

Thanks for reply. Even with 8-9 weeks ??

Thanks for reply. Even with 8-9 weeks ??

Sure you could bang out a paper in a week or two (and that's being optimistic) but the whole process of submitting, editing, revising, etc. can take a while. It may be months before the paper is actually accepted/published. And that's assuming you get the paper accepted to the first journal where you submit your work.

Have you published before?

Sure you could bang out a paper in a week or two (and that's being optimistic) but the whole process of submitting, editing, revising, etc. can take a while. It may be months before the paper is actually accepted/published. And that's assuming you get the paper accepted to the first journal where you submit your work.

Have you published before?

It would be the first time I do a research , I did not publish before.
I think Clinical Chart review doesn't need IRB approval, so it will decrease the time.
Regarding the whole process, does it work if I edit & revise the paper from outside USA after I submit the initial one from inside USA ?

Thank you

It would be the first time I do a research , I did not publish before.
I think Clinical Chart review doesn't need IRB approval, so it will decrease the time.
Regarding the whole process, does it work if I edit & revise the paper from outside USA after I submit the initial one from inside USA ?

Thank you

The question you need to ask yourself is, will the paper be accepted to a journal for publication by the time you apply to residency?

Why would it matter? The internet is the same world-wide.

I thought that I have submit it by hand or sign at publisher office. Sorry Sir, it would be the first experience.

The question you need to ask yourself is, will the paper be accepted to a journal for publication by the time you apply to residency?

Yes. Since the elective time is in the beginning of the final year...so I have the final year & the internship year, totally 2 years !!. I believe if it would be published then it would be before Residency application.
So do you suggest to do the Clinical Chart Review & throw the lab research work ? Or to do the lab research work may be it has higher value & better chance for publication ?

Last edited:
Yes. Since the elective time is in the beginning of the final year...so I have the final year & the internship year, totally 2 years !!. I believe if it would be published then it would be before Residency application.

Are you in the third year of med school? Do you already have an internship lined up (what kind? prelim?)? What type of residency are you applying to?

I'm a little confused as to your current situation. :confused:

Are you in the third year of med school? Do you already have an internship lined up (what kind? prelim?)? What type of residency are you applying to?

I'm a little confused as to your current situation. :confused:

Sorry if I did not explain it properly. I am international medical student.
Medical education here is 6 years. After that, we have to do obligatory year of internship (it is like Preliminary year curriculum, but it is not a residency year) for the country in order to be "licensed". I hope it is clear now. May answer my questions in the previous post ? Thank you

It seems there is no answer...Thanks for everybody who posted.

There are answers, and people have given them to you above. It seems they aren't quite what you wanted to hear. My advice would be the same. I did a SubI and betweem the hours of that and having to do a grand rounds presentation at the end, I had very little time for anything else. It's more grueling than you could imagine. You absolutely must be strong clinically. Trying to rock a sub-I and involve in research is too much in my opinion and those of the posters above.

Research during SubI is not feasible.

1. You do not have prior research experience.
2. You cannot do research unless you have IRB/IACUC approval, and that will take several weeks, minimum. There is no such thing as a research project that doesn't need approval. You may apply for an exemption but that still takes time. Or they may just have you involved without going through formal channels, but strictly speaking this is not allowed.
3. You cannot do lab research in 8-9 weeks unless they have a VERY specific task and it is easy. Just learning techniques can take several weeks. If you have never held a pipette before, an away rotation is NOT the time to learn.
4. Nights and weekends is time for you to recuperate, not for you to spend time in the lab. I have to question the people you've been communicating with, that actually think this is a good idea for you. You need to impress clinically, and that takes a great deal of effort, preparation, and focus. Doing research will distract you from all three.

In case I haven't made myself clear, starting a research project during your away rotation is a seriously bad idea.

There are answers, and people have given them to you above. It seems they aren't quite what you wanted to hear. My advice would be the same. I did a SubI and betweem the hours of that and having to do a grand rounds presentation at the end, I had very little time for anything else. It's more grueling than you could imagine. You absolutely must be strong clinically. Trying to rock a sub-I and involve in research is too much in my opinion and those of the posters above.

No...it is not because I did not hear what I want...I did not get a definitive answer....Thank you for your comment

Research during SubI is not feasible.

1. You do not have prior research experience.
2. You cannot do research unless you have IRB/IACUC approval, and that will take several weeks, minimum. There is no such thing as a research project that doesn't need approval. You may apply for an exemption but that still takes time. Or they may just have you involved without going through formal channels, but strictly speaking this is not allowed.
3. You cannot do lab research in 8-9 weeks unless they have a VERY specific task and it is easy. Just learning techniques can take several weeks. If you have never held a pipette before, an away rotation is NOT the time to learn.
4. Nights and weekends is time for you to recuperate, not for you to spend time in the lab. I have to question the people you've been communicating with, that actually think this is a good idea for you. You need to impress clinically, and that takes a great deal of effort, preparation, and focus. Doing research will distract you from all three.

In case I haven't made myself clear, starting a research project during your away rotation is a seriously bad idea.

You explained the situation very well...Thank you

Do most of the competitive residencies require some amount of research? I don't know how people find the time for this. i have four kids ( i guess i brought that on myself!) and its all i can do to keep up with our current academic schedule.