MD Research during first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trollest

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing how important research is/ having a first author publication. Would you guys advise someone to be involved in a research lab during his first year.

If yes, why? And how many hours should one dedicate to research per week.
IF no, Why?

I have been told to wait until the summer of M1-M2 year but i disagree because that time should be used for preceptorship/ step 1 preps and research (with paper at the end). And the latter won’t happen unless one has been involved in the lab for quite for time. to be honest i feel like M1 is the best year to start research, your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

A few posts down on front page: When do med students typically start doing research in school?

Long story short, most people will start M1-2 summer.

But... if you do shadowing and get involved earlier in M1, you can have your pick of what lab to join, and have less competition for projects from other students. I tried to dedicate one afternoon (~4 hours) per week throughout the year and it paid off massively. A little help can go a long way in pushing through stalled-out projects during the year. My lab had a couple projects that just needed a peon to do some data entry / chart review, and because I was the only med student around it was all handed to me on a silver platter.

IMO best plan is to give yourself a few weeks to get your bearings and make sure you're going to pass your classes comfortably, and then start getting involved early M1. Don't overextend and bite off more than you can chew, at least not before you get comfortable with things.

Reactions: 1 users
A few posts down on front page: When do med students typically start doing research in school?

Long story short, most people will start M1-2 summer.

But... if you do shadowing and get involved earlier in M1, you can have your pick of what lab to join, and have less competition for projects from other students. I tried to dedicate one afternoon (~4 hours) per week throughout the year and it paid off massively. A little help can go a long way in pushing through stalled-out projects during the year. My lab had a couple projects that just needed a peon to do some data entry / chart review, and because I was the only med student around it was all handed to me on a silver platter.

IMO best plan is to give yourself a few weeks to get your bearings and make sure you're going to pass your classes comfortably, and then start getting involved early M1. Don't overextend and bite off more than you can chew, at least not before you get comfortable with things.

I second this post, however I dedicated 1-2 hours per day to research instead of one afternoon. Paid off in a big way. Highly recommend getting started first year.

Reactions: 1 user
Same position as you OP, but I've reached out to some faculty in my specialty of interest to shadow/get info on research so I can have some projects lined up when I get a bearing on studying and find some time during the week.

Reactions: 1 user