research during med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rock_climber

0.1K+ member
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting med school in the fall and I am wondering when/if med students fit in time to work in a lab? i've done it all through undergrad and love it and want to keep it up, but is this unrealistic?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be starting med school in the fall and I am wondering when/if med students fit in time to work in a lab? i've done it all through undergrad and love it and want to keep it up, but is this unrealistic?

I've been told its unrealistic. This is the same reason that most med students don't have outside jobs. You might be special, however. It's your life ... you might want to look into it for yourself. Schools differ in their schedules and curriculums. Instead, what I have noticed is that some students do research during breaks between semesters or even take some time off from the normal med school program to do a year of research (particularly the MD/PhD folks).

Members don't see this ad :)
- Summer b/t MS1 and MS2
- Summer after USMLE but before MSIII
- Elective Research Rotations during MSIII & MSIV
- Take a year off via HHMI or NIH
- Do a PhD (usually b/t MSII & MSIII)

You're probably not going to find time/energy to do research while in class at more than ~5 hrs a week.

i have a couple of friends that somehow managed to fit in research during school, but it was mainly during second year and on. first year for almost everyone is spent studying or in class.

It depends on the school. We have a lot of research integrated into our program. Last summer before starting our clinical coursework, all of us did research as a part of the curriculum. Several of my classmates have continued doing research during the year, and a couple of them even presented at an AMSA meeting last month as M1s on work they've been doing since they've been in med school. We will all be doing research again this coming summer, and then we will all be doing a year of research too. If you're interested in doing a lot of research while you're in school, you might want to see if your school offers an optional MD/MS program. They usually don't charge you for the fifth year (or they don't charge very much if they do charge anything) and you can apply for funding too.

- Summer b/t MS1 and MS2
- Summer after USMLE but before MSIII
- Elective Research Rotations during MSIII & MSIV
- Take a year off via HHMI or NIH
- Do a PhD (usually b/t MSII & MSIII)

You're probably not going to find time/energy to do research while in class at more than ~5 hrs a week.

If you do elective research rotations in third and fourth years is this enough time to actually accomplish anything??

It depends on the type of work you do as well.

Benchtop research might not be realistic.

But we have all sorts of mini-projects on campus that are often nothing more than looking thru charts one night a week and compiling data. (Not glamorous, ground-breaking work but if it gets you noticed in the department that you are interested in, why not give it a shot?)

If you do elective research rotations in third and fourth years is this enough time to actually accomplish anything??
Eh, depends. I'm looking at doing something more than can be reasonably accomplished in one summer, so I'd use some elective time to wrap up my work. If you've done the leg work setting it up beforehand, I'd imagine that you could analyze and write up a few case reviews and/or a retrospective during a research elective. I've heard about people doing something like this when they realize that they like a competitive field last-minute and want to bulk up the CV.