Research during summer before starting med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pushkin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to start med school off early by doing some summer research at the school? One of the schools I interviewed at mentioned that this was a possibility, but I don't know how common it is, or if other schools would be open to it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll give ou some advice given to me by a current medical student....

"Don't work or do research this summer, enjoy your free time, you won't be having much of it next fall"

pushkin said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to start med school off early by doing some summer research at the school? One of the schools I interviewed at mentioned that this was a possibility, but I don't know how common it is, or if other schools would be open to it.

Thanks!

AStudent said:
I'll give ou some advice given to me by a current medical student....

"Don't work or do research this summer, enjoy your free time, you won't be having much of it next fall"

Thanks, I totally appreciate your response, but I have already thought about what you just mentioned. I currently WORK in a research lab, so it would not be a big change. Also, I am not supported by my parents so there isn't much free time to enjoy.

Wherever I go I will be moving across the country most likely. In addition to wanting to do something interesting, I'm looking for a good reason to move early and get a little settled before starting school. A lab job would be great I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, UTSW has a pre-matriculation program with a stipend ($3000 for 10-weeks). It depends on which school you are going to as to whether they have a program set up, but I imagine they would be willing ot work with you. However, I second the other poster, why not hang out with friends and work some meaningless job (no offense intended to other employees of said job) that affords you time to enjoy your last summer before med school. That's what I planon doing, we'll all have plenty of time to work ahead:D

I don't think the prematriculation program at UTSW is research based. Most premat programs are more for enrichment, with a brief exposure to the courses you will have during your first year.

As far as research, there is always going to be the opportunity to do it. The summer before my first year I moved to Houston and worked in a neurobiology lab. Looking back on it, I really got nothing meaningful from it, except for brushing up on my gel-making and radionucleotide-handling skills. However, if you have money saved up such that you could live without working, I would suggest enjoying the summer. In the middle of my research, Houston flooded and my project was put on hold for a month. I went to Galveston, kayaked almost daily and really enjoyed having the time to be free. You'll appreciate it in October-November when you are sick of not having had any time for yourself.

Ok, at the moment I am specifically interested in whether this would be possible at Cornell. I could ask the admissions office obviously, but I'm going to wait til I have a more definite idea of what I'd like to do and why.

I just think that if I am going to move to NYC from Minneapolis where I currently live, AND if I am going to be working in a research lab one way or another this summer, that it might be interesting to do the research in New York so I can get settled in over a couple months. I could stay with friends and look for an apartment so I might not have to move into the dorm in August. I could broaden my research experience. The biggest problem I guess is whether I could get funded for any such work, but that's a bridge I'll cross when I come to it.

Please no more advice that I just take the summer off, ok? I appreciate it but I know what I'm doing. :)

Anyway, I haven't settled for sure on Cornell or NYC, but I'm just beginning to think of all these things.

The program at UTSW isn't a typical pre-mat program. It is strictly research only. That's why you get the stipend.

JDAD said:
The program at UTSW isn't a typical pre-mat program. It is strictly research only. That's why you get the stipend.

Hey JDAD, this is just a random unrelated question to satisfy my curiosity. In your signature you write that you are c/o 2009/10. Does UTSW have a longer program where you can choose to do something else during that time or are you deferring? Just wanted to know if this was something I haven't heard of before.
Thanks.

JDAD said:

Correct. You have options for clinical or lab research.

i was thinkin of doin research...either at NIH or NJMS....i have a interview at the NIH in mid fed..