Research Experience and Advice for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaywardLady

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to apply for MD/PhD programs for Fall 2014. I will list all my stats but I am most concerned about my research experience.

GPA: 3.91, science GPA slightly under that

Research/Lab Experience: 1 year with USDA invasive weeds unit & currently working (1 year as of now) as a lab technician for a genetics company that does Pre-Implantation Genetic Screening (PGS). My work now really isn't research, it is clinical testing for IVF clinics to increase pregnancy rates by testing embryo DNA for chromosomal abnormalities. I have no publications and I would get great recommendations.

Extracurricular: Tutoring in sciences(>1 year), Hospice "friendly visitor" (3 months)

MCAT: I have not taken.... I have tons of time to study and am hoping for high 30s. I know this could also help make or break!

Although I am grateful for any advice, I am really worried I do not have enough active research experience. My job now is great experience and I do want to go into genetics research, but do I need more ACTUAL research?

Also, is there anything else that will help or will hurt my chances?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Although I am grateful for any advice, I am really worried I do not have enough active research experience. My job now is great experience and I do want to go into genetics research, but do I need more ACTUAL research?

I would agree that your assessment of your application is correct. You have little to no hypothesis-driven research on your résumé (depending on what your work at the USDA entailed). That's the type of work MD/PhD programs tend to value when evaluating applicants. I won't say you won't be successful with the research experience you have now, but more research in an academic setting would definitely help your application.