Research experience included in PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocKat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in sort of a dilemma right now. I have just completed my personal statement and am pretty happy with it. I gave a copy to my research advisor for her to proof read for me and she suggested that I make a major change in my PS--add my research experience of working with MRI, which I did not include in my PS at all since my research experience didn't really motivate me to pursue a career in medicine. Her reasoning was that since undergrads don't usually work with MRI, this should be the first thing that an admissions comittee sees. Even though my research work is medically related--I am conducting MRI on a mouse model of a disease and my interest in this has confirmed my desire to go into medicine, but I just didn't have enough room in my PS to fit it since all the other factors were more important for motivating me to pursue a medical career. What do you guys think that I should do? Have any of you mentioned your research work in your PS? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DocKat said:
I am in sort of a dilemma right now. I have just completed my personal statement and am pretty happy with it. I gave a copy to my research advisor for her to proof read for me and she suggested that I make a major change in my PS--add my research experience of working with MRI, which I did not include in my PS at all since my research experience didn't really motivate me to pursue a career in medicine. Her reasoning was that since undergrads don't usually work with MRI, this should be the first thing that an admissions comittee sees. Even though my research work is medically related--I am conducting MRI on a mouse model of a disease and my interest in this has confirmed my desire to go into medicine, but I just didn't have enough room in my PS to fit it since all the other factors were more important for motivating me to pursue a medical career. What do you guys think that I should do? Have any of you mentioned your research work in your PS? Thanks!

i had a similar problem with my PS. when i added another paragraph about research, it completely stood out - in a bad way. everyone who proofread my PS said it seemed like, the paragraph didn't fit and just came out of nowhere, and it made the essay choppy. i only talked about major experiences that lead to my decision to become a doctor. there's room for your MRI stuff in the EC/work section and secondaries. or you can just get a recommendation from your MRI peeps.

it's a good idea, if you can make it work with the rest of your PS. don't just add it for the sake of having it there, but make it work within your PS, even if it's only a quick mention of it.

also, if you don't put it there, put it as one of your 15 post-secondary experiences, where you will have room to write about it more extensively. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
5300 characters means that, at least for a non-trad like me, it's impossible to be comprehensive. Pick a couple key points, an anecdote, something personal -- save the other details for the activities descriptions, the secondaries, and the interviews.

I'm reviving this thread because I wanted to know what other people are doing re: research experience and the PS. I've done some interesting research, I feel, and I'd like to include it.

I have ways of tying it in but 3 out of 4 readers have said "get rid of the research altogether".

:confused:

In general I think it's a good idea to leave research out of the PS. Since the PS is something personal, write about something that would set you apart from everyone else. Talk about your unique experiences and tie them into why you want to pursue/why you would be good in medicine. I originally talked about research in my PS, but then I realized that I don't want research to be the definition of my career in medicine and took that part of it out. I plan on using a lot of the space available in the "activities" section of AMCAS, though.

I think it really depends on who you are, and what motivates you toward medicine. A lot of my ps is about the research I've done - but then, research is an enormous part of my motivation to become a doctor. And, it's what I do for a living right now and for the last 7 years, so it would be weird to leave it out.

Good thoughts. I feel like my research will enable me to become a better doctor but I'm not sure I can put forth a convincing argument saying that the research motivated me to BECOME a doctor.

There's a difference between the two arguments, you know. My essay primarily addresses the latter question.

Good thoughts. I feel like my research will enable me to become a better doctor but I'm not sure I can put forth a convincing argument saying that the research motivated me to BECOME a doctor.

There's a difference between the two arguments, you know. My essay primarily addresses the latter question.

True. I can't (and didn't) really say that research motivated me to become a doctor... but it did keep me motivated along the way, and them more research I did, the more I liked it. Clinical research is where I found my niche in medicine, because my life experiences seem to feed into and reflect the work I do. Not everyone can say that, but I know a few others in my circle who can...

Don't be ridiculous. Leave it out and save it for the secondary.

You don't want to put all your cool stuff into the primary and leave yourself dry when it comes time for filling out secondary prompts. Most schools ask questions that you can relate to research.

Any other votes for "putting in research is a ridiculous idea"?

Your thoughts are appreciated. I guess I can discuss the research on my secondary -- provided I GET secondaries after they read my PS ;-)

[***And people are really applying to research-heavy schools without discussing the research in the PS??? Please explain the rationale.]