Research experience + LOR from PI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruieu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some context, I'm currently a sophomore looking to get some clinical research experience and I just accepted a position as a student volunteer for a stress tolerance lab. I'm planning for a long term commitment to a lab/project and I'm hoping that I can also eventually get a LoR from my PI. However, I've currently only spoken with and contacted the graduate student that is directing the project I will be working on.

I'm a bit confused on the process of getting to know your PI? Typically, will I be seeing the PI at all during my time working on his projects? Is that something I would need to arrange on my own or ask the graduate student about? I'm just lost as to how students get a LoR from their PI in cases where their PIs are really busy or just how to get to know my potential PI at all. Not sure if my question makes any sense, but I'm not very familiar with this process as I haven't had much research experience yet.

Members don't see this ad.

This is common. It depends on the lab. If you feel comfortable, just pass it by your grad student. Oftentimes the grad student/post doc might write the letter and the PI will sign/co-sign.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
This is common. It depends on the lab. If you feel comfortable, just pass it by your grad student. Oftentimes the grad student/post doc might write the letter and the PI will sign/co-sign.

About when should I let my grad student know that I'm hoping to receive a LOR at the end of my commitment? And is there a difference (is one better than another) between getting a LOR directly from the PI or one that the PI co-signs?

I'm a bit confused on the process of getting to know your PI? Typically, will I be seeing the PI at all during my time working on his projects? Is that something I would need to arrange on my own or ask the graduate student about?
This depends very much on your PI. Some are very involved and easily accessible, others are more reclusive and allow their post-docs and grad students to manage things. Get started in the lab and feel out the PI's style. If the PI is more hands-off, get to know your post-doc/grad student and express your interest in an LOR to him/her. S/he should be able to guide you about how your PI generally handles such things.

About when should I let my grad student know that I'm hoping to receive a LOR at the end of my commitment?
Ask whenever you feel you've established yourself as someone who deserves a good letter. There's no specific time here.

And is there a difference (is one better than another) between getting a LOR directly from the PI or one that the PI co-signs?
Generally, if the post-doc/grad student writes the letter, it'll be signed by (and therefore come from) the PI. Adcoms will only see the PI's name.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users