Research experience vs. masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovefash67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it is more valuable to offset a low undergrad GPA to get research experience or to get a masters instead? Also do schools care whether you volunteer as a research assistant vs. work as a research assistant , is one better than the other?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if it is more valuable to offset a low undergrad GPA to get research experience or to get a masters instead? Also do schools care whether you volunteer as a research assistant vs. work as a research assistant , is one better than the other?
A low GPA is one of few circumstances in which I'd recommend a masters instead of full-time RA job to strengthen the app. If you want a PhD in clinical psychology, go to masters program that has a research component (empirical masters thesis, labs in which you can help with projects) and has a strong track record of getting their graduates into good PhD programs.

I'd define a low GPA as <3.0. 3.0-3.5 can sometimes be offset by a really strong GRE.

I care less about whether you get paid than what you're actually doing.

A low GPA is one of few circumstances in which I'd recommend a masters instead of full-time RA job to strengthen the app. If you want a PhD in clinical psychology, go to masters program that has a research component (empirical masters thesis, labs in which you can help with projects) and has a strong track record of getting their graduates into good PhD programs.

I'd define a low GPA as <3.0. 3.0-3.5 can sometimes be offset by a really strong GRE.

I care less about whether you get paid than what you're actually doing.
Okay thank you. I will be graduating with my masters in psychology in a couple of months but its online. I started this program before I knew that online degrees are frowned upon. I am interested in doing an ABA masters program that is research focused at Hunters College. Do you think that will be smart? I will be paying for this program out of pocket because I don't want to add any more debt to what I already have.