research experience?

mms

15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
    Hi! I'm a pre-optometry student, and I was wondering how important research experience is to applying to optometry school? Is working for an optometrist more preferable?

mms :)

cpw

It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Apr 25, 2001
    Tampa
    1. Optometrist
      They definitely prefer working knowledge of the optometric profession to research experience.. unless you're planning on applying to the OD/PhD track. Otherwise you're fine working for or shadowing an OD.
      Hope this helps! :D Let us know if you have any other questions about the application process!

About the Ads

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
      Moderator Emeritus
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Feb 7, 2002
      In a dark room
      1. Optometrist
        I know this is getting a little off-topic, but how important is volunteer experience in an opt school application? How about extra-curriculars? I'm a little weak in both those areas -- reading the pre-allo postings, that sounds like a huge strike against med school applications. Just wondering what it means for opt school apps. (BTW, I'll be volunteering at an eye clinic this summer, so at least I'll have that when I apply this fall...)

TAL

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Oct 27, 2001
        Houston
          I shadowed for 6 hrs/week for one summer, going to the office after summer school classes. As far as volunteer experience, I did about 2 hrs/week during the school year through a student organization for the local Boys and Girls Club, basically just playing with kids after their school let out and helping them with their homework. I think admissions are just looking to see that you are willing to volunteer, not necessarily devoting your life to it.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.