research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JScrusader

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for those who have published, Did you send your abstracts/papers to the schools to be added to your secondary file?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nope, but you could mention the citation (journal, authors, date of public if it is already published) somewhere. if anyone is curios, they can look it up

Members don't see this ad :)
edit, i haven't applied, but when i DO i apply, i have no intention of sending the abstract. :)

oh, - and i guess i could say that of course I did mention that I had published in my "research experience" section on AMCAS. I gave one citation as an example, but there were too many to fit them all in that small space they give you.

Originally posted by the boy wonder
oh, - and i guess i could say that of course I did mention that I had published in my "research experience" section on AMCAS. I gave one citation as an example, but there were too many to fit them all in that small space they give you.

Too many? Just list your Science and Nature papers then.

i didn't even bother to write out the citation info. i just put 2.5 years of research into 510 characters on AMCAS and let it speak for itself.

i don't think it affected me negatively at all. but you can call pritzker and make sure, because they rejected me today.

Originally posted by S.c. Cdc28p

:)

Don't send abstracts or copies of your papers, especially if you are applying MD-only.

Originally posted by S.c. Cdc28p

well, I know you're trying to be a smartass...but ironically, that's exactly what I did.....

btw i'm a non-trad

well, I know you're trying to be a smartass...but ironically, that's exactly what I did.....

Really? If you're serious you're the man. Why not MD/PhD?

I came to my interviews with reprints of articles I published; this was a very good way for me to get the interviewer to spend more time the strength of my application, research. Also, this way I didn't have to talk as much about the few clinical experiences I've had.

i would give them the references in your application. there is a big difference in doing research, and doing published research.

even if you are applying to an MD only program, research is important-many schools that i have been to this fall state that biomedical research is one of the top priorities of the school. Just look at all of the new/under construction research facilities going up at med schools (osu, u of mich, rochester, etc)

I sent my articles. If it affects me negatively, I'll let you all know.

I think that sending them allows the committe to examine, especially if you are a first author as I was on four, the intellectual approach towards your research, your aptitude in communicating abstract ideas, and your attention to details.

If they want to think I'm a science egghead and that I do not have the dedication to be a clinician, then they did not read my personal statment or pay attention to my ECs and LORs.

So far, 2 Interviews, 4 Rejections, 36 to go...

C

btw i'm a non-trad

Great.