Research & Extra Science Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shabby1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 20 year old sophmore who is almost done with all of my Pre-Med prerequisites, including Calculus. I want to know how important it is to take Biochemistry and/or Molecular Biology? Do you recommend I take both of these courses or just one over the other? How useful is a course in "Probability/Statistics" for getting accepted into a Med-School? Will it help my chances? Also, what about taking some extra science classes to increase my science GPA (like histology, anatomy, physiology). Do you recommend that? Finally, is doing research (in a laboratory) a MUST for being accepted into Med-School. Have there been people who have been admitted into Med-School, but have not done any research? Advice on such issues will be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!!

Members don't see this ad.

I felt that Biochem and Molecular biology were a large help for the MCAT, but not essential. The passages give you all the information you'll need on these topics, it's just that if a topic happens to be one you've studied, it's easier to draw from the passage. (I hope that makes sense.) As for stats, I took it, but I don't feel it made any difference.

I never stepped into a lab, (except the ones required with my classes) and I was accepted. In 3 interviews, the lack of lab work has not been mentioned. But, I have tons of clinical work.

Hope this helped. Just my experience...
Bren

Can you be more specific please.
Clinical work in reference to what exactly?
I felt that Biochem and Molecular biology were a large help for the MCAT, but not essential. The passages give you all the information you'll need on these topics, it's just that if a topic happens to be one you've studied, it's easier to draw from the passage. (I hope that makes sense.) As for stats, I took it, but I don't feel it made any difference.

I never stepped into a lab, (except the ones required with my classes) and I was accepted. In 3 interviews, the lack of lab work has not been mentioned. But, I have tons of clinical work.

Hope this helped. Just my experience...
Bren[/quo

Can you be more specific please.
Clinical work in reference to what exactly?

Wow....14 years and you expect an answer? ;)

Reactions: 1 user