research flexible residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimplera

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the wonderful posts. I'm a current MS3 and have really learned a lot from the info found on this board. I'm looking for places to do a 4th year elective and was hoping for some more insight than can be found on the program websites.

As an MD/PhD student, I am hoping to eventually have a successful research lab along with a clinical practice at some large medical center. I recently spoke with the RadOnc chair at my med school and he suggested that I look for programs where they foster the resident's research aspirations. My interests don't really lie in the physics/planning arena, but rather in the radiobiology/radiosensitization/radioprotective and/or tumor/cellular biology areas. I'd certainly appreciate any insight those of you on the interview trail could lend in this area. In particular, any programs that are more flexible in allowing research throughout the residency rather than back-loading it?

Thanks in advance for any comments and good luck with your interviews.

Randy

Members don't see this ad.

Hi -

Im an intern who will be starting rad onc next year. I also did a MD/PhD and have some of the same research interests. First, there is the Holman pathway which I understand requires a seperate application and you design your own residency with up to two years of research. There are only a handful of residents that are doing this nationally in rad onc, I think, and only some programs would consider having a resident do it. I think its something worth learning more about. More info at

http://www.theabr.org/1_Ex41_Holman.html

There is variation in how much time is allotted for research of the 4. Some one year (Michigan, U Chicago, i think), others about 6 mo and many none. Obviously, its also worth considering what kind of research and how much is going on within the department.

Hope that helps.
Ann

Hi Randy,

I'm an MD PhD too. I'm currently applying and I have the same questions that you do. The one thing I've learned is that you need to find out what the chair of the department thinks about training physican/scientists. (You also need to find out if (s)he is going to be there for a while). I think it's ultimately the Chair's decision if they want to "protect" you and find money for you.

As this forum has become list happy lately, maybe we can make another one of programs known to support research (?)

Joe

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically (from what I hear), if you're serious about doing extensive research (during non-alloted time during your residency), you want to go to a program that doesn't overwhelm you with clinical responsibilites...one that has a good balance of patient load/cases, but time for independent research.

Here's a prelim list of what I know:

1. MD Anderson: 6 months of 3rd year designated for research, but flexible and can extend up to 1 yr (and possibly beyond)
2. Univ Wisconsin: can be flexible if you can get funding. One resident (non MD/PhD even) is taking 2 years off to do translational research.
3. UNC: 6 months of research during 3rd year
4. U Chicago: very research oriented as mentioned previously, but don't know specifics.

Perhaps others could chime in?

At U of Michigan: 6 months and flexible to a year in PGY-4 year(but rarely do residents choose that)

Beaumont: Required 9-12 months of dedicated research in PGY-4. No surprise that they punch a lot of stuff out.

UCSF: optional 6 month at PGY-4. One person did it for a year and it caused a big stir. Surprisingly, not a lot of translational research- mostly clinical.

UChicago:

PGY-5 year is all research, usually exclusively basic science, dozens of labs available. The chair of the department is also the head of the entire molecular oncology division of the school, and he is wonderful when it comes to getting the residents in labs. All I can help with.

if basic sci 1 year; if clinical 6-9 depending.You dont need the holman to get the year in many places.

The only program I've seen first hand (as a student) is MCV/VCU, where Dr. Schmidt-Ullrich is very supportive of research and encourages those with interests to pursue them. He has given up to a year of research time, and one resident is doing the Holman path.

An interesting fact that I learned this week while at UPenn is that institutions have to be accredited for the Holman pathway. What are the standards? No clue, but this is probably a general indication of the success, resources, and commitment to basic science rerearch.

Whether one shoould actually do the Holman path is an entirely different issue.

Joe

The Joint Centers in Boston require a whole year of research or research-related activities (ie getting an MPH). I also hear that if you want to do two years of research (meaning an extra year of residency), they are supportive.

BTW, I was wondering if anyone can fill us in about how life is like in Boston and how a resident (especially one with a family) can afford housing, etc.

I wouldn't sacrifice clinical activity for research but admittedly for heavy-duty research you do want protected time. THat's the only way to get things done.
steph