Research focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sorg1123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just how specific should one get when describing their research interest in application to clinical programs? I... have this friend who is applying to cliinical psych programs and he wants study clinical neuropsychology. In his current PS he states that he wants to investigate the cognitive consequences of neurodegenerative diseases and brain injury. Is that focused enough or should I, err, my friend, specify what disease he's interested in investigating? He wants to keep options open, but doesn't want to appear unfocused.

Members don't see this ad.

What I would probably do, and what I am doing with my applications, is change it up a bit based on the professor. For instance, my interest is suicide and prevention, but that is about as specific as I am. I am open to all research under that umbrella. Because of this, I will talk about my interest in adolescents if that is what the professor studies or older adults if it is a Geropsychology program. I don't think that it is a lie to do so, because I am interested in all of these fields, and that way I show a good match and seem focused.

That is just me though, and please someone tell me if you do not believe this is a good idea as I still can change it up.

By the way, you are an awfully good friend :). I actually did post last year on this board for a friend, but it was actually because my friend was too afraid to look at the boards.

Just how specific should one get when describing their research interest in application to clinical programs? I... have this friend who is applying to cliinical psych programs and he wants study clinical neuropsychology. In his current PS he states that he wants to investigate the cognitive consequences of neurodegenerative diseases and brain injury. Is that focused enough or should I, err, my friend, specify what disease he's interested in investigating? He wants to keep options open, but doesn't want to appear unfocused.

I think it is too specific. In retrospect I think I was too specific with my future professional interest in my PS last year and it may have turned off some prof's. I think stating your overarching research area of interest and how your are flexible enough to adapt to the prof's research is the best strategy.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm a bit stuck and would appreciate some feedback- my overarching area of interest is cross-cultural psychology and its impact/influences on mental health (in terms of the illnesses themselves; the universality of diagnosis and treatment; and coping/help seeking behaviors). i feel that's a bit too scattered and that it seems that most professors tend to be interested in one particular aspect i.e. culture and emotions; culture and therapy; culture and acculturation etc. should i be picking one particular aspect of clinical psychology and then saying i am interested in looking at it from a cultural viewpoint, or is it actually fine to just say i'm interested in the socio-cultural aspects of psychopathology.

(i'm sorry if i don't make any sense, i feel like i'm not making any)

i'm also interested in the role of the family/community in mental health issues, which is sort of related to the above (culture) - and studying the factors predict/affect risk and resilience of individuals to developing deviant behaviors.

am i all over the place or is it actually possible for me to link up all the above?

any feedback - good or bad - would be very much appreciated.

i'm a bit stuck and would appreciate some feedback- my overarching area of interest is cross-cultural psychology and its impact/influences on mental health (in terms of the illnesses themselves; the universality of diagnosis and treatment; and coping/help seeking behaviors). i feel that's a bit too scattered and that it seems that most professors tend to be interested in one particular aspect i.e. culture and emotions; culture and therapy; culture and acculturation etc. should i be picking one particular aspect of clinical psychology and then saying i am interested in looking at it from a cultural viewpoint, or is it actually fine to just say i'm interested in the socio-cultural aspects of psychopathology.

i'm also interested in the role of the family/community in mental health issues, which is sort of related to the above (culture) - and studying the factors predict/affect risk and resilience of individuals to developing deviant behaviors.

Your having the same problem everyone has when tailoring their statement for each program. Your statement probably flows like a story describing your past research experiences and what you have learned from them, how they encouraged you to enter the field etc. By the time they get to the paragraph where you state your faculty member(s) of interest they should have a very good idea of what you have done and what areas you are interested in exploring.

I don't think most programs expect you to know exactly what you plan on doing with your career. That's what grad school is for; to develop your focus. In your case, general interest/experience in cultural psychology would be essential but I would not be too committed to a very specific idea unless you are sure that faculty member is going in that direction.

"My overarching area of interest is cross-cultural psychology and its impact/influences on mental health". Good enough IMO. Your experience will speak for itself.

Its always a good idea to have former professors check your statement out. They can help more than anyone.