capone2975

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
Is research a must at the CA schools? If not, which ones do not require research

M

mynameistino

capone2975 said:
Is research a must at the CA schools? If not, which ones do not require research
Of course bro, i heard CA is really hard to get in and of course anyone whos applying to a med school will have good grades and mcat scores. And plus, clinical experience helps out not just CA school but every school in this country for admission.

Jeffy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2002
Status
Maybe not so much with USC. I had some research on my application, but I'd say it helped me minimally since I was so focused on public health and the clinical side of medicine in my app. I sold myself to them based on other credentials and don't really think that my research played any part on my acceptance there.

Then again, the UC's treated me like sh1t the entire application process. :rolleyes: Go figure.

i77ac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
Sunny California
Visit site
Status
capone2975 said:
Nope. I have no research experience, but got into UCI, UCSD, UCSF. I do, however, have extensive leadership experience.

bbaek

One day at a time....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
Status
i77ac said:
Nope. I have no research experience, but got into UCI, UCSD, UCSF. I do, however, have extensive leadership experience.
how does your stats look like and what undergrad did you go to? i'm very curious b/c i want to go to ucsf :laugh:

MD in 2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
Status
capone2975 said:

I don't think research is a MUST if you're only applying for the MD program. I know several people who got into 2+ UC schools without doing any type of research.

Research might be required if you're applying MD/PhD.

R

Revolution #9

As far as I know, NO medical schools have a research requirement for regular MD (or DO) admissions. I don't see why California schools would be any different than the norm. Maybe Ahhh-nold likes research, though, so I can't be sure...

lakersfan

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
los angeles, ca
Status
Medical Student
I got into USC doing no science research. However, I'm a business major and did do research in the business field. My feeling on this matter is that if you want to do an MD alone, performing research is not a necessity. I instead decided to shadow a doc for 2 summers and I also volunteered at other clinical settings when I had the time to. I think the most impt. thing is having good clinical experience- having a VERY good understanding for what you are getting yourself into. Away from that, do what intriuges you the most..for me, majoring in business was fun and I enjoyed my experience making presentations, etc.