research for credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EarlyTester

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was an older thread about this but just wanted to bring up the topic again-

If you engaged in a research project for an honors thesis, but are required to enroll in a "independent study" research type class in which you will be graded - will your research position count as an extra curricular activity?

I only ask because I worked in the same lab for some time (unpaid) and I'm currently in the process of setting up an honors project based on some of the projects I had previously been working on. If I do go ahead and do this I will be graded for my lab work by a formal sponsor (not the PI) for over a year....but I am just worried my research work would cease being "extra curricular", and I wouldnt be able to discuss it at length on an app when I apply next year.

Members don't see this ad.

as far as I know, honors thesis <<<<<<<<<<<<<< publication

Research is research, regardless of who you do it for.

I have been doing research for a year (3 credits each semester), and now I'm doing a senior thesis for this year (3 credits each semester). I also did a summer research (paid position) with another lab.

Whether you take it for credits, or get paid for it, it's still research. I listed all three of the research positions mentioned above on my AMCAS.

Edit: luv2sd, the honors thesis is supposed to be the same quality as a publication, so it would be pretty easy to publish it. That's what I plan on doing.