Research for CT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_Surgeon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know in the past that CT was a competitive field that required a significant amount of research in order to get a position. Now with the huge decline in those interested and the difficulty in filling positions does CT still require a year or more of research? I have a strong interest in CT but little interest when it comes to research, so the less time in the lab the better. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

currently, as long as you've done a gsurg residency and are a living human life form then you'll get into a ct surgery fellowship. :)

Dire Straits said:
currently, as long as you've done a gsurg residency and are a living human life form then you'll get into a ct surgery fellowship. :)
I hear that....I am still looking for the latest match results. I am just one of those that came straight from the womb wanting to do CT and for some odd reason still think that I want to pursue it. Granted I am just beginning my GS residency and things may change, but hopefully the job market will turn around a bit over the next few years. I was talking with a resident that is going to UT Southwestern and he told me he was amazed at the number of people he met on the interview trail with 1-2 years of devoted research. He had none and had no problem getting a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't forget that a lot of gsurg residencies make you waste 1-2 years of your professional life in the lab doing research that you don't care about so you'll look better on paper. so it's not like those people specifically went out of their way to do research when currently anybody who has done gsurg can walk into a ct residency. and i think you're being a bit idealistic about the future of ct surgery. its one thing to believe you came straight from the womb wanting to do ct surgery or whatever, but reality is a b$@ch when you finish all the training and find yourself competing for the few ct jobs out there and instead have to take up gsurg cases so you can pay the bills. thread carefully.

You absolutely, positively, do NOT have to do research. Now or five years ago. Do not waste your time. You can get into the best programs in the country by getting excellent LORs, doing great on your ABSITEs and looking good on the interviews.