Research for General Surgery Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pre-Medguy1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'm an MS1 at a DO school. I recently got a spot on an Immunology-geared research project at my school. As a fairly small school with not that many research opportunities, I took an open spot that a project happened to have. I've always had an eye for surgery but not one of those "have to have" surgery types. I have a couple of questions:

1) If I do decide to apply for General Surgery, will having research in Immunology hinder me in any way?

2) Is it more important to do general surgery related research or just research in general? (This is a fairly legit project with lots of grants that gets a number of publications so I thought it would be good place to start but now I'm worried)

3) How does research in a different field generally impact residency applications? By this, I mean that if I had done research in derm but decide to apply ortho, how would it matter? Or say I do general surgery research, but then decide to apply IM? I tried to ask around but no one seems to have a really sure answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.